BootsnAll Travel Network



Police break up disabled protest

(From The Korea Herald, Oct. 12, 2005)

By Tracey Stark 
and Kwon Ji-young


A man protesting against low funding for education for the disabled is chained with a chair to the main gate of the Seoul government complex in Gwanghwamun.

Activists demanding proper education for the disabled chained themselves to the gate of the Seoul government complex and painted slogans on the sidewalk yesterday in a protest that resulted in police detaining 43 people.

The demonstration began at 11 a.m. when about six people in wheelchairs, out of a group of 50 protesters, were chained to the front gate of the Gwanghwamun complex by able-bodied compatriots to protest low government funding for disabled education.

“We decided to stage a surprise protest which went to extremes because we didn’t receive any response from the government during a long protest in front of the Blue House,” said Kim Ki-ryong, representative of the coalition for the educational rights of disabled people.

A sign complaining about a lack of funding was spread across the ground in front of the protesters while four members of the group spray-painted slogans in red and black on the sidewalk. The main English-language sign next to the gate was also defaced with red paint to resemble dripping blood.

In the early minutes of the protest, several officers attempted to stop the spray painters but were met with shoves and shouts. The outnumbered police and complex security guards backed off and waited for more police to arrive.

“Over 300 police came and dragged 43 of us to 10 different police stations. There was a struggle between the police and protesters as they were forcibly dragged away,” said Kim. As of press time the detainees remained in police custody.

Of the protesters, 10 were disabled students, 15 were their parents, and 25 were university students of special education. 

The group wants an increased budget for disabled education, more special education teachers and education laws for disabled students. 

“This year, the government cut back the budget for special education by 8 billion won, and reduced the number of teachers from 444 to 36, and the number of assistants from 3,000 to 2,500,” said Do Gyeong-man, executive director of the coalition for disabled education rights. 

Yesterday’s protest follows a two-week demonstration Sept. 22-Oct. 5 in front of the Blue House during which the group asked to meet President Roh Moo-hyun. ”The government did not respond at all to our requests,” said Kim. Receiving no response from the government, the group decided on more desperate measures to draw attention to their case.

Within 15 minutes of the start of the Gwanghwamun protest, two busloads of police officers arrived and parked in front of the protesters, effectively blocking the view of passing motorists. Several other police units arrived from around the corner, making a total of more than 100. The helmeted police, many armed with shields and meter-long batons, surrounded the disabled protesters and began pulling them from the gate. Several other officers with bolt cutters were sent inside the complex to cut the chains in order to remove the wheelchairs.

One severely disabled protester, once unchained, accelerated his electric-powered chair, pulling along four policemen and knocking a police photographer off a ladder. When he was subdued, the protester was removed from his chair and ended up writhing on the ground. 

Another protester escaped the confines of his wheelchair and crawled under a police bus while a man with a loudspeaker voiced the group’s complaints to a growing crowd of onlookers.

After a little more than an hour most of the protesters were removed, although the spray-painted slogans were still visible. There was no immediate word from the government about the budget for the education of the disabled. (traceystark@heraldm.com) (jkwon@heraldm.com)



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *