BootsnAll Travel Network



Tulum or not Tulum

Tulum, Mexico is a town about an hour south of Playa del Carmen…it’s another beach town, with some Mayan ruins, and it’s supposed to be a backpacker favorite. I arrived and found my hostel pretty quickly (Tulum is pretty small – my book didn’t have a map of the place, but seriously, there’s only one major street). I didn’t do much – it was hot (it’s really hot and humid everywhere I’ve been so far. Like way worse than those really bad days in Chicago, and I just sweat through everything, especially when I’m lugging my backpack around).

I met some interesting folks at the hostel; quite a few Americans and a German who now just live in Mexico – a bit odd, sort of the reverse migration. There were tons of others – I made friends with two Aussie sisters and a Japanese guy named Hiro, who’s been traveling around the Caribbean and is doing a similar route to mine.

I went to go see the ruins the next day. Nothing too exciting, but it was so beautiful out there – right on the coast. Tulum used to be a major port for the Mayans apparently, butI think they just sat on the beach all the time. That’s what I did. I made friends with a little crab who scared the bejeesus out of me while I reading my book. He was making a little home for himself, I guess – he would pop out of his hole with his arms full of sand, throw the sand off to the side, take a little rest, and then pop back in the hole. He was adorable.

Later on, talking with Hiro, we were both planning to go to Belize the next day, so we decided to head off together. Next stop, Orange Walk, Belize.

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Tulum or not Tulum”

  1. Nancy Williams Says:

    Hey Tania!

    Gee willakers! (sp) Long time no see. Your mother informed me of your fantastic travel life! Sounds great! Be safe!

    Hugs.
    Nancy.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Penny/Patrick Says:

    Wondering if you are still in Mexico and near Playa Del Carmen – we have plans to go in Dec, but are wondering if the town is destroyed or what?
    Please e-mail if you have an helpful knowledge. Thanks!

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply