BootsnAll Travel Network



Harold and Kumar go to Honduras

After leaving the Jungle River Lodge, we (the 2 Israeli couples and I) tried to take the ferry out to the Bay Islands. This was, after all, the reason I came to the north of Honduras – to learn how to scuba dive. The Bay Islands are supposed to have the cheapest diving in the world, so I figured if I was going to do it, might as well be here and now. Well, the ferries weren’t leaving for the islands, due to Hurricane Wilma, which was headed straight for that area. We all headed for the center of La Ceiba to grab a hotel for the night and decide our next moves.

The Israelis head out the next morning…I decided to wait it out. I figured Wilma would pass in a few days, and then I could head up to the islands for some good diving. In light of all the previous flooding and mudslides in Guatemala, I kind of figured it would be safest in the city (although only 4 blocks from the coast), instead of traveling through slightly more precarious terrain. The local newspaper put La Ceiba right on the border of the red/yellow warning area, and all other sources showed the eye going north of the coast. Not entirely knowing what to expect, though, I went to the supermarket and bought some food and water, in case who knows what were to happen.

So, the next few days were totally boring. I did nothing. It rained on and off, nothing too spectacular, and the city itself sucked – seriously, nothing to do, and walking around got really boring fast. I had splurged on a nicer hotel, fully equipped with private bathroom (sans hot water) and cable TV, all for $12 a night. I think I watched more TV over those 3 days than I have over the past year (at least it was decent – super excited when Harold and Kumar go to White Castle came on), with a larger dose of the weather channel than I think is healthy. So yeah, that was all very boring and sucked. On day 3, I decided I had had enough and was going to leave, regardless of whether the ferries were leaving. And they weren’t. Quite a disappointment, but I went to the bus station instead, intent this time on actually getting off this time at Tela.

Tags: ,



One Response to “Harold and Kumar go to Honduras”

  1. mama & papa ski Says:

    who is Harold & Kumar?????
    do they have White Castles in Honduras?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    For the record, White Castle has not made it to Honduras. However, American fastfood is quite widespread. In Tegucigalpa now, and within a few blocks of where I am there’s Mcdonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Pizza Hut, Popeye’s, Church’s Chicken (do these places still exist?), Sbarro’s, and Dunkin Donuts, not to mention all their own fast food places. There’s also a really funny rip off of Dunkin Donuts called DK’D Donuts, where they use the same colors and color pattern and letter shapes, etc.

  4. admin Says:

    Also, I don’t know why it says I posted that from El Salvador, but I’m in Honduras.

Leave a Reply