BootsnAll Travel Network



Delhi – And so it begins

Before I tell all about Delhi, I need to go back to yesterday when I took my flight out. In classic Suze style, I’d left so much stuff until the last minute. I was packing up my house until 10pm, then had to go and drop the keys off at the Estate Agents after that. By the time we were back at Mum’s and had put the last of my stuff in the loft (giving me a chance to road-test my new head torch, miner-style), it was midnight, by which time I’d pretty much decided not to go to sleep. All of you who know how much I need my 8 hours per night will now be guffawing into your coffee.

I packed the last of my stuff in my rucksack, ignoring the fact that it’s waaay too heavy (it’s sure to get lighter as I’m using all my toiletries, right?), and then dozed on the sofa for an hour, waking up every 10 minutes in a panic that I’d missed my alarm.

We got to the airport in good time, which for me means about 4 hours to spare, checked in and had a last cup of coffee with mum. I’ll spare you all the emotional details of the goodbye, suffice to say I cried pretty much all the way onto the plane, all the way to London, and on to the plane at Heathrow, then intermittently all the way to Delhi. Like the grown-up globetrotter I am!

Sat next to a nice guy on the plane, who was telling me all about his son’s gap year that turned into 5 years. (Aunty Rosemary, maybe you should forget I just said that). Unfortunately, as well as being nice, he also had huuuuge elbows that kept getting me in the kidneys (are the kidneys on the right hand side of your body? JP please confirm). They also kept changing the channel on my tv set, but every time it happened he seemed genuinely surprised although I kept pointing it out to him. Politely of course, I’m still evah so British.

We were delayed both at Heathrow and then waiting to dock/berth/park/whatever the plane term is, so it was pretty late by the time we were through immigration. I got talking to some friendly people in the queue, two German guys and a French girl, and we were going to share a taxi if our pre-booked transfers had gone because we were late. Fortunately mine was there, as was the guys’, but unfortunately we left without having a chance to get to know each other. The guys are going to Agra on Saturday, same as me, so we might well bump into each other there.

I finally got to the hotel at 4am Delhi time, after seeing all kinds of sights on the roads here – you know, you read about the crazy traffic, but you really can’t appreciate it until you’ve seen your taxi (on the wrong side of the road) bearing down quickly on something coming from the opposite direction. Welcome to India! Now we’re going to kill you.

I slept right through till lunch time but haven’t been particularly hungry yet – I think it’s the heat. It seems the height of stating the obvious to come to India and say “you know what people, it really is a bit warm here” but the truth is, it really is a bit warm here! I haven’t had too much walking to do so far – I wandered over to the train station to book my ticket to Agra on Saturday, and then to this internet cafe, but that’s about it. I’m taking the time today to plan the rest of my days in Delhi, I think I really could get to like it here. Completely insane, of course, but maybe that’s why.



Tags: ,

14 responses to “Delhi – And so it begins”

  1. Anthony says:

    Good to hear you’ve arrived safe and sound. No wonder you didn’t stop crying until India we were all choked up just reading your mum’s messages, it must have been awesome live.

    p.s. Kidneys are on both sides …….. you’ve dropped off my phone a friend list.

  2. Andy says:

    Eeeeeeeeee. You’re there. I can’t believe you’re there…and I’m here. At my desk. In Salford. It’s raining. Although I just had to leave my desk for a brief minute whilst I composed myself after reading your mums message. I just knew Clare Hitchen would top all blogs in terms of sheer emotional brilliance. Someone asked me if I’d had an upsetting e-mail as tears streamed down my face!! “Yes, someone just requested a meeting I couldn’t make. I’m very upset about it all.”

    From the other messages it seems as if Saturday went with a bang (a wet bang). Sorry I couldn’t stick around but in truth I would have been no good. I can’t cope with people crying – it’s probably my ability to empathise too much (??) I always think if mum had let me had a dog I’d be able to cope better with loss instead of hamsters who stuck around for weeks at best.

    Anyway, Suzanne I’m missing you already and getting your ‘I’m here’ mail has been a real jolt that has made me sad, envious, happy and a whole load of emotions that means I’m going to have a dessert with lunch. Stay safe and know that there are lots of people here wishing they were with you.

    God bless

    Elephant Apple (Snr).xx

  3. Anna says:

    Glad you’re there safely. This is the beginning of your adventure hun – enjoy every second. Sounds as though the weather is VERY different to here! Take care and keep blogging!

    xxx

  4. Mike Rolston says:

    Hi Suze

    Welcome to the mad mad world of India.I have never experienced a place like it.By the way…Delhi is quite civilised compared to some places.
    I stayed in Sikh temples FOC and you will love the trains (climbing over bodies on the platforms… great fun).
    Hope you enjoy your cups of chai (tea) at every stop.
    Hope you don’t go to the same restaurant that I went to in Agra as I ended up with a form of dysentry and felt dreadful for ages.
    I bet your digital camera will be working overtime.

    Take care

    Mike 7 Sheila

  5. Michael says:

    Glad to see you’ve arrived safely. I’m sure the guy next to you from the plane is writing in his travel blog about the strange girl who was next to him on the plane who kept crying every time she changed her tv channel! :0)

    Have fun.

    Love,
    Michael

  6. Claire-Louise says:

    Hi Hobo !!! Glad all is well and you’ve arrived safely and are starting to plan your time in India, I must agree with Andy your Mum certainly started the tears streaming again with her wonderful words (even a few girls in work whom I showed it to had a bit of a lump in their throats!!) Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!! Lots of love C and G x x x

  7. Rosemary says:

    Hi Suzie: Lovely to read your messages so far…. I’ve been to Mass (again) to-day and lit a candle in St. Werburghs in Birkenhead…. now what have I told you about talking to strange men ……. you’re at it already and you hadn’t even left the airport!!
    Mind you, everybody I talk to (strangers and all) I tell them about my very brave niece who is travelling alone….. I know you’ll be fine and will enjoy it all. Have spoken to your mum and she’s fine and I’m looking forward to seeing her on Sunday.
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Agra. Thinking about you lots and the house is ablaze with candles for you!! Keep safe and well. All my love – Auntie Rosemary x
    p.s. Thought about you to-night as there was a new slot on Richard and Judy’s show
    and you could win a pair of JIMMY CHOOS!! – see what you’re missing!!.

  8. Anna says:

    Have tried to write on here once today, but it seems to have disappeared! So glad you are there safe and sound. Sounds like the weather is a tad better than here! Keep blogging and enjoy every second of your adventures!

    xxx

  9. Lynn & Michel says:

    Hi Suzie,
    So you’re there, lucky thing (lynn still has some reservations) your mum sure knows how to turn peoples taps on . there were plumbers getting called out all night long. I could’nt cope with all the emergency calls I had.
    Lynn and I hope you enjoy your stay in delhi and don’t get delhi belly,your belly is between your kidneys .Although Lynn reckons its between your tits and your threepny bit.

    Lots of love have a great time

    Mike and Lynn in Geordieland

  10. Sarah says:

    Wow! Been an emotional wreck since Saturday night and just when I thought ‘I’d got a grip’ I find myself sat here blubbing again!

    So very excited though and the kids at school are rather sick of hearing about “Miss Catlow’s friend who’s travelling around the world and look, this is where she is right now, flying over all these countries, and look, this is the country where she’s staying”! Won’t have to plan geography for months, we’ll just be following you!

    Enjoy finding your way around and exploring Dehli!
    Keep safe! Love you lots, Sarah

  11. Gabi says:

    To suzie hope you are having a great time in India I have a few questions or should I say loads of questions here are the questions.Is it hot in India.Do the people there have dark brown faces.What does India look like.Do you know any words in India.I’snt that a lot of questions.Missing you loads and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and a million more.Ice-cream is here wish you were delishous.Ha ha that was funny.Lots of love from gabi.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  12. Anna says:

    Okay, third attempt to send this message – and there is me thinking I’m technologically proficient! (If that’s how you spell it!)

    Sounds like the weather there is a tad nicer than here!

    Enjoy every second of your adventures in Delhi and keep blogging!

    xxx

  13. Sharon Smith says:

    Hi Suze

    It’s Sharon from Pilks here. Well you’ve gone and done it – fantastic. Can’t wait to read your next installment. Like the others, I am extremely envious not only of you doing what you want to do and having a great time, while I’m sat here in ‘sunny’ St Helens, but also because you have the courage to do it.

    Take care
    Sharon
    🙂

  14. angela says:

    Hi Suze, I think i am going to enjoy your blog messages. Take our Mike’s advice and watch wht you eat in Delhi, won’t you?
    When will you be starting work teaching? I am sure you are going to be well educated by the time you arrive back in England[mind you you already are,educated i mean!]
    Keep posting the news bye for now love Angela xxx

  15. Lou says:

    Hi Darl,

    Loved your first instalment, it has perked me up as I wait for another happy couple to come in and put their wedding list together!!
    In the Bennett/Sanderson household we have wasted no time is using our goodies from the fabulous giveaway. So far we have consumed the black bean sauce and as I type away I have a feeling that Sando is at home concocting a delight with the mushroom soup!! (recipe courtesy of Rosemary). Neither of us have been brave or desperate enough to use the shampoo yet, but I will keep you posted!
    Take care and have fun!
    Lou
    x

  16. Julie says:

    Glad to hear you have arrived safe in Delhi. Have a wonderful time there Suze. Thinking of you in the heat its cold and wet here!!! Stay safe. Julie xxxxx