BootsnAll Travel Network



Stuff and nonsense

Up to this point, I have subscribed mainly to the maximalist theory for living.  The more stuff, the merrier.  I am proud to come from a long line of hoarders, all the way back to… oh, at least my mum.  Apparently, my Grandad had a clear-out of the drawers in his flat every single week.  I do not take after him.  Recently, as I’ve been packing up my beloved posessions to store in Mum’s loft while I’m away, I’ve found boxes that haven’t been opened in all the time I’ve been in my house.  That’s four and a half years, folks.  So I guess you could say that I’m well overdue a clear-out.

Cunningly, I have avoided this by simply transferring all my stuff from one house (mine) to another (mum’s).  Although this involves a bit of short-term pain, in that we’ve had to pack it up and then haul it up into the dark and mysterious loft (including one moment when the ladder slipped, and I found myself wobbling over the tall stairwell like someone in a Laurel & Hardy film), I’m thinking that the long-term gain will be threefold:  i) When I come back a zen-lovin’ minimalist, having lived out of teeny backpack (three pairs of shoes!!! three!!!) for 18 months, I will realise that ‘stuff’ is nothing but materialistic, earthly trappings; ii) It postpones the clear-out for another 18 months – procrastinators rool ok.  Tomorrow. And iii) Possibly, instead of feeling zen-like, my enforced absence from my ‘stuff’ will just reaffirm my addiction to it, and what’s more I’ll have a ton more to add to it, what with all my souvenirs.

Only time will tell.  Look out for all the parcels I’ll be sending home, though.  And I actually had fun giving away a free tent, which sparked off a bidding war between my cousin Paul and my brother Michael – so I’m glad to know that other people want my stuff as much as I do.



Tags:

6 responses to “Stuff and nonsense”

  1. Mike Rolston says:

    Hi Suze

    Didn’t realise it was so close to D day?
    Are you getting nervous yet?
    I remember leaving home at 21 to emigrate to Oz for the first time and I wouldn’t like to repeat that.
    It was 1970 and it was like I was going to a different planet and would never see anyone again.
    On the morning I was leaving, there was my Mum and Dad and me for brekkie and hardly a word was said until departure time when the taxi rocked up.
    It was horrible but, hopefully, yours will be far less painful than mine.
    You have some wonderful adventures ahead of you and I love to hear of the next generation of Mounseys following the travel bug.
    I really look forward to seeing you in Perth in August even though it is not the ideal time of year to visit.
    However, we will do our best to give you a home away from home on your travels.
    Take Care

    Mike & sheila

  2. joan says:

    hi suze
    Enjoy your adventure, butr take good care of yourself. Our Jamie did this trip in 1987
    taking in thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and America. We met up with him in New York when we were staying with our Peter. I well remember him going as I cried an ocean of tears. as I did when our Mike did the same trip.
    I did worry about him I’m afraid, especially as he promised to phone one Sunday and didnt, leaving me frantic and him having a ball somewhere in thailand because the train hadn’t turned up!!!!! Since this trip he is always hopping onto planes and going all over the world-lucky devil. Good job his partner, Sarah, feels the same.
    Anyway Suze take good care of yourself and please keep in touch, especially with mum as mums do worry even tho’ we would never stand in the way of you following your dreams.
    Will see you before you go hopefully. God Bless

    Joan and Tonyxxxx

  3. angela says:

    Hi Suze, nice to hear your first posting before you set off. Look forward to the next ones. By the way, regarding your “hoarding” your belongings, have a word with our Pete[he had a right twist on at the weekend as he was in the attic clearing out old “stuff” not such an easy job. Still never mind you are only young and have plenty of time to sort out things.{i am a little bit of a hoarder myself , especially with old documents and greetings cards, things which belonged to Brendan etc i could go on]
    Anyway, i am sure you have much more exciting things to think about at this stage
    We will all miss you, but Happy Travelling and God go with you. Love Angelaxxx

  4. Michael says:

    I’m still upset that immediate family weren’t given advance warning of the tent giveaway.

    Sincerely,
    Disgruntled of Durham.

  5. Julie says:

    Hi Suze

    I cant believe the time is almost here when you will be embarking on an amazing adventure. I am so pleased for you . You will have an amazing tiime and will meet many interesting people, im sure. Our Chris has just booked a 12 month round the world trip. He goes in November, Im trying not to think about it too much yet. I will miss him terribly but I think it so exciting when these opportunities come along. Sorry missed the bash at mums, it would have been nice to see you before you go. It will be really good keeping up with all your travells on the family site and on here too.
    Take care Suze, Have a wonderful time and dont worry about your mum, she will be well looked after. Lots of love Julie xxxxxxxx

  6. Caroline says:

    Hey Suzie!

    It was lovely to see you at the weekend and be part of the Mexican wave of tears! I’m really going to miss you and hope you have the time of your life.
    Take care hun, be safe. Looking forward to hearing all your news with much jealousy.
    love and hugs
    Caroline
    xxx

  7. Mum says:

    Bon Voyage Suzanne. As I type this message you will be in London, waiting to board your flight to Delhi, the first stop in what I hope is a trip of a lifetime. I can’t begin to describe how much I’ll miss you. You’ve always been so generous with your time and shared so much – our lovely trips to Paris, nights out at the theatre, shopping and not to mention the times you’ve prepared a delicious meal for me – always so welcome after a long day at work. Our mother/daughter relationship is so very special and I will treasure it always. No matter where you are in the world the bond will remain unbroken. So many eminent writers have expressed this so well but I think Liv Ullman once put into words just how I feel.

    “I am an onlooker on my daughter’s dance, which I…….made possible because she came through me……. I’m not part of her dance. Yet whenever she takes a pause and needs someone to talk to, I am there. But that special dance with the child and the future is hers”

    So go with my love and blessings and dance (and sing) around the world. Soar confidently in your own sky. Experience the culture of all the wonderful places you’ll visit and, when you get time, share them with us. Keep safe and well and may God and the Angels protect you.

    I love you more than you’ll ever know.
    Mum.