BootsnAll Travel Network



Iquitos and my quest through the Amazon river

_MG_4385.jpg

Sorry it has been this long, but I began studying again and I don´t have so much time for my blog. Let´s continue where I left you though, leaving Cusco and finding a way to get to Colombia in an exciting and fast way. I had never been to the Amazon so I decided to enter my country this way. I got to Lima and then I flew to Iquitos, the biggest city in the world that can´t be reached by road

I was expencting a small city when I arrived at the airport, but surprise! It´s huge! It has almost half a million inhabitants and more traffic than Cuzco. The big diference was that almost every vehicle is a three wheeled motorbike, so a big smile came to my face remembering the Rickshaws and Tuk-Tuks from India and South East Asia respectively.

I liked the city, especially the market, a place where everything can be bought and where the chaos and fruits and vegetables on the ground dominate 🙂

_MG_4288.jpg

I only stayed one night and started the real adventure, a boat through the Amazon river, the longest and widest river on earth. I got really early to the pier, something like 5 hours earlier than you have to, but this gave me the opportunity to choose the place I wanted for my hammock, my “bed” for the next 2 nights, and after seeing how packed it could get I was glad to have been there that early!

_MG_4292.jpg

_MG_4329.jpg

The ride was smooth and tranquil, very relaxed, with lots of time to read, people watching and in my case to sew all the little patches with flags I had bought along the way. Instead of spending 20 minutes on each along my travels I spent something like 8 hours!!!

_MG_4353.jpg

_MG_4430.jpg

The food was provided on baord: rice, beans and a piece of chicken for every meal. If you are reading this and you are planning on doing it, bring some treats ;). Also bring a blanket or you´ll die frozen in your sleep!
At dawn from the second day I finally walked off the boat and onto my last foreign town, Santa Rosa, Peru.

_MG_4299.jpg

_MG_4302.jpg

_MG_4415.jpg

After waking up the inmigration police and having my passport stamped, I got a small wooden boat across the mighty river into my beloved country. But this you´ll hear soon, I promise…

_MG_4444.jpg



Tags: , , ,

-4 responses to “Iquitos and my quest through the Amazon river”

  1. Will says:

    Simonnn!!!!! Donde carajos puedo encontrar tu mail!! Mandame tu uno y asi me quedo con el tuyo, pendejo!. El anio que viene me voy de gira por tu tierra, y me encantaria verte y darte un abrazo!

    Me alegro que estes de vuelta entero. Quiza podamos planear una escapada 🙂

    Abrazos!

    Will

  2. Rhine Stone says:

    Beautiful picture. Somehow I liked the forlornness in that. Best Regards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *