BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 3: London

Three days since I’ve arrived in London, and I think I’ve done everything I wanted to do (except, of course, find a sugar-princess). Many of my meals have been in pubs, and I’ve got to say, I haven’t been disappointed with British food. Despite it’s reputation as being bland, I’ve found it more than acceptable. Of course, London is expensive as all hell; if I think about how much I’m paying for a typical meal (7-8 pounds, plus a pint, plus service), it seems pretty rediculous. I ended up paying the equivalent of about $25 USD for a burger, two beers and some chips (the French kind), but it was one of the tastiest burgers I’ve ever had. More important, I finally understand why Britons put salt and vinegar on their chips — it’s damned tasty.

Alright, enough about food.

Besides eating, I did a double-decker bus tour: Tower of London (“You call that a diamond?”), Tower Bridge (aka, “London Bridge,” you ignorant bloke), Changing of the Guard (damn exciting — if I wanted to see people standing around and passing off keys I could go to Herb Chambers) and a bunch of Circuses. Today, I walked from my hotel (Grosvenor Square, right next to the US embassy, thanks Michelle!) down Oxford Street and SoHo to the British Museum. I wasn’t prepared for such an impressive sight; some day when I’m a monarch I hope to build half as huge a monument to myself. Saw the Rosetta Stone (overheard from one brilliant American who apparently didn’t finish grade school: “Which part was in English?”). Took tea in SoHo (and a few pints). Now I’m off to meet a friend from high school; she answered the phone with a British accent, but then switched back to American when I told her who it was.

Is it strange that my inner monologue (dialogue?) is beginning to have a British accent?



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “Day 3: London”

  1. Sherwin says:

    i hear there’s a party every sunday called ‘sunday mass’ (note the irony) where people pack into a warehouse, drink beer out of plastic bags, and rave their faces off. please find out for me if this is a. true and b. if it rocks.

  2. Steve says:

    what is strange is that Mark can’t decide whether to have an inner dialogue or an inner monologue.

  3. Surfer says:

    There is a great place that is famous for having rolling stones gear, I think its called Flaming Lips or some crap, don’t remember…had one to many that day (suprise…fucking…suprise). Be sure to check out that world’s biggest ferris wheel as well, I hear the view at the top is AMAZING.

  4. U Mike says:

    The adage to English food not being tasty is not referring to pub food nor their beer, but to the cuisine in the expensive restuarants. Thus it is said that you are much better off with the Banger and Bitters than the Butter and Bilge.

  5. admin says:

    U Mike, I dunno who you are, but I’m sorry to report that I don’t anticipate eating in any expensive restaurants.

  6. admin says:

    Sherwin, I won’t be attending any Sunday bashes this week. Maybe on my encore.

    Dad, the whole reason I’m hear is to figure out whether my logue is dia- or mono-. Any help with that decision would be appreciated.

    Surfer, the Flaming Lips are a band (and a damned good one!), and, as far as i can tell, not a venue.

  7. Sherwin says:

    mark, your english needs some work:
    the reason you’re HERE is to figure out what your inner MONOlogue is. mono, meaning one. unless you have two voices in your head, which would be dialogue, but in that case you would probably have multiple personality disorder.
    glad to be an annoying COM grad.

  8. admin says:

    Thanks for the English lesson. I suppose I should take this opportunity to tell you that I may be including some jokes on this blog; I hope you can keep up.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *