BootsnAll Travel Network



Giza, Egypt

IMG_1063.jpg

After a 10-day stint in France and Italy, Shelly and I arrived in Cairo, Egypt, to start the Africa leg of our trip. It’s very hard to describe everything we’ve experienced, but we’ll do the best we can.

We spent our first few days in Egypt about 10 km south of Cairo in the town of Giza. Our goal was to quickly check out the Pyramids and spend a couple days resting by the pool and drinking Sakkara beer. From our hotel room, we could step out on our balcony and get a full few of the pyramids. It was amazing. To think that just last month we were in Machu Picchu and now at the base of the Egyptian pyramids was a pretty cool thing to have experienced.

For our only full day in Giza, we spent about three hours touring the pyramids. Our hotel offered to get us a car for the day and a guide but we opted to head out a take the pyramids on our own. After dodging through traffic, past persistent taxi drivers that hung out outside of our hotel, and through the dozens of camels and donkeys, we made it to the pyramids unscathed. It was great to see them up close and it’s hard to imagine how the ancient Egyptians could build them. After walking around the pyramids and taking some action shots (see below) we walked down to the Sphynx and back to the hotel. That night we went to a local “sheesha” bar and smoked apple tobacco out of a hooka… which is basically a three-foot water pipe. We sat with a bunch of Egyptian men who were puffing furiously on their hookas as they watched a local soccer match on T.V. When in Egypt, do as the Egyptians, I guess. The next morning, we caught a 6 a.m. flight to Luxor on EgyptAir to begin our 4 day cruise down the Nile River.

IMG_1107.jpg

Our impression of Egypt is that it’s a place rich in history and the people are extremely friendly. As a whole, they are probably the nicest we’ve met so far on our trip. Everyone is generous to us and they all have a smile. We are constantly talking to random people and everyone wants to tell us their story and talk about their family. Most surprisingly, everyone in Egypt loves Americans and loves America. Unbelievably, we didn’t see any other Americans although there were a few other Westerners (British, French, Australian). Therefore, we were a bit of a treasure to the locals as their eyes would light up with happiness upon hearing we were American.

IMG_1090.jpg



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “Giza, Egypt”

  1. Mark Sanchez says:

    Shelly and Nate: I’m dying to hear the rest of your impressions about Egypt. As a reporter with KOIN / Portland I traveled to the Middle East in the early 1980s. This was related to covering Governor Atiyeh’s trade mission to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Syria. I especially remember how much I enjoyed my time in Cairo. I don’t know how much has changed but the infrastructure was a mess (potholes large enough to swallow a car!), street lights didn’t work and making a local phone call was an adventure. Those elements did not diminish my admiration for the Egyptian people: They are funny and fun, pretty people who did not confuse their concerns about America with their deep, positive feelings about Americans. I’m glad events during the intervening years have not changed the Egyptian warmth and friendliness I saw first-hand long ago. I know you are the best kind of ambassadors!

    You’re having the adventure of a lifetime. Drink it all in.

  2. admin says:

    Thanks, Mark. We are back in Cairo for a couple nights and are staying in the city this time, instead of out in Giza. The city is very metropolitan, very clean, and seemingly well-organized. The only problem on the roads seems to be mindless traffic and some pollution expected from a city this big. But, no potholes yet! Thanks for your note. And yes, the people of Egypt are wonderful.

  3. Shelly Hansen says:

    Hi Nate and Shelly!!
    Got your postcard today from Egypt! Thanks for thinking of us and sending it out! Love seeing the pictures of your trip. Yesterday was a full lunar eclipse… did you see it? Amazing to have that happen all around the world! (Yes?!)

    Josie turned 10 this weekend so we have crossed the line into double digits at our house. Loved seeing the pics of Shelly with the Egyptian girls ;o) Anna’s hair is becoming curly curly! She has little pencil sized ringlets around her face. She’s trying to adjust to her new hair. ;o) She was hoping to avoid hormone inspired curls like mom. Erik is good, getting ready for baseball season to start at HS. Paul and I are good and busy with work.

    Love you and am praying for you~

    Shelly Lea

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *