BootsnAll Travel Network



Cochin, India

The last few days have been some of the most relaxing of our trip.  From the moment we stepped off the plane in Cochin, we knew the next 6 days were not going to be like those spent in Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur.  Everything down here is laid back, from the clothing, the attitudes, and the street vendors.  It’s also about 85 degress and sunny, which means we finally feel like we’re on vacation.  

img_2446.jpg

Even the cows found a cool place to rest 

We spent most of yesterday touring around the historic city of Fort Cochin, seeing the few historical sites, and doing a little shopping.  Over the last 500 years, the Fort was controlled by several countries (Portugal, Spain, Britian) so its history is an eclectic mix of those cultures.  There were many Christian churches and even a Jewish synagogue… not something we’re used to seeing in India.  We also visited the area of town where they use Chinese fishing nets to harvest the catch.  I think they’ve used them here too long because they didn’t catch much, but it was fun to watch anyway.   

img_2439.jpg

In Cochin, we’re also able to have alcohol with our meals unlike up north.  In Jaipur, for instance, both the restaurants and even our hotel didn’t serve alcohol.  On hot days like this and after a tough day on the Indian streets, it’s nice to kick back and relax with a cold one. 

Tomorrow we’re driving south to catch our houseboat down the Kerela backwaters.  We’ll be cruising for two nights so the next time we post will be from Mumbai, India before we depart for Thailand.  Bye for now.   



Tags:

One response to “Cochin, India”

  1. Coop Dawg says:

    Nate & Shelly –

    Hey, looks like you are having an awesome time. Wish we could be there with you, but like I said, let us know when you get to the Portland part of your trip and we’ll come down and meet you! We are lying around like cows ourselves, so in some respects it truly is a small world.

    btw, Nate I dig the picture from your dinner in Egypt…. NICE!!! Be sure to check your e-mails for some reciprocal respect!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *