BootsnAll Travel Network



Cangas de Onís…what Oviedo was supposed to be!

So after a night in Oviedo, we moved on to the little town of Cangas de Onís…the sleepy mountain town that Alex had in mind when he thought he was in Oviedo. Its tiny with only a few streets, but full of siderías. Its also right in the mountains, bordering the Picos de Europa national park. Just what we were looking for.

Yesterday was the perfect sunny day for hiking, so that´s exactly what we did. After finding a hostel and some lunch, we took a short bus ride to a little place called Covadonga. Its up in the mountains and the scenary is spectacular. There´s a basilica way up on a legde and then a small chapel built right into the mountainside as a waterfall tumbles below. Really beautiful. After looking into both of those, we decided it was time for a hike, and followed the trail markers into the hills. Although we weren´t exactly sure where we were headed, it turned out to be a success. After hiking through some very challenging trail, we ended up in the most peaceful meadow with peaks on all sides and a rushing creek that had carved a cave into the mountain side. We took lots of pictures that will hopefully be up soon!

Today we are going canyoning later in the afternoon which I am super excited for. I am very curious to see if it will be at all like the experience I ahd canyoning in switzerland.

After Cangas we are finally heading down to Toledo, the city south of Spain where both Alex and I studied previously. So that should be great as well. I hope you all are doing well and look forward to your emails!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *