BootsnAll Travel Network



Budapest, A city with some grit.

Now I think I am almost caught up with my blogging. As I said before, we are now in budapest…although we are leaving right after I finish this blog. We have had about three days to explore, and I will say, it is very different from the quaint little prague and cesky krumlov we came from.

Budapest has some grit and grime behind it. It is not a cute little town, but after awhile, I liked what it had to present, there is a lot of determination behind it. The buda palace has been completely destroyed three times, yet it still sits now rebuilt again towering above the city, stunning as ever. The synagouge have been destroyed as well, and again, although closed for 6 years are now open and beautiful. It seems as though budapest has a slightly darker side then its little cousin prague.

On our trip, alex and walked all over castle hill, the collection of churches and the palace that tower high above the rushing danube river to begin the buda side of the city. They were really impressive to see, but even more so when we returned to see them lit up at night. Alex also loved seeing the parliament building, modeled on the british one, its also a great piece of architechture.

Budapest, like prague, was also a city hit hard by the halocaust, and we explored some of its jewish heritage as well. Behind the main synagouge (third largest in the world) there is a cementary, smaller but somewhat simliar to the one in prague, and a beautiful memorial to those families who were lost. A huge steel weeping willow sculpture with the names of the perished engraved on each leaf. In addition, although we didnt know what it was at first, 60 some pairs of bronzed shoes are laid out next to the river bank, the stand for the jews who were shot into the river during the end of the war. We also visited the house of terror, which was just that. Terrifying. I felt like I was entering a haunted house, except this one was real. They had the music and lights and everything down. As you enter a lifesize tank sits in a shallow pool with oil oozing over the sides. Above it tower the photos of all the jews whose lives were lost. The house is a building on a main boulavard budapest that was taken over by the nazis during the war and eventually used to keep prisoners hidden away in its basement, many never to be seen again. The fact that this was so present in the city, it wasnt hidden away in the countryside was especially haunting to me. The house has now been transformed into a museum so that those events will not be forgotten.

On a more pleaseant note, we also had a chance to take a dip in the hungarian baths in city park. The park is super pleasant to explore, and the baths were even better. Three huge outdoor pools of varying temps, and then many indoor pools as well. It was great to relax away the afternoon. You can sit in the sauna, and then dive into the cold water, and the progress your way on up to warmer and warmer pools, then repeat. It was great.

We also found some wonderful cafes and restaurants. Budapest seemed to have more trendy swank places then I have seen in quite some time. We found a great place for dinner one night. Awesome food, great atmostphere, less the half of what it would be in the states. We also stumbled upon a cute blues bar…it ended up being spanish music, french cafes, jewish birthday party by a catholic cathedral…in hungary. Great times.

At first, Budpest seemed a big city to me with not a lot to offer, and it was cold and windy and rainy on our first day as well, making me not the happiest of travellers. But I will agree with em, after a few days, it has grown on me. It is not my favorite city of the trip, but Im glad Ive had the chance to come.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *