BootsnAll Travel Network



Caye Caulker – Go Slow

Caye Caulker

I’ve been in Caye Caulker for almost a week now, and think that it’s time to make plans to move on. Life here is just too laid back and easy that I can see myself slipping into the lifestyle and never continuing my journey.

Al, Ed and myself arrived here last Saturday morning when it was overcast and raining occassionally – not what we were expecting. We sorted out accommodation and within an hour we all had a beer in hand and the sun came out to play – welcome to paradise island.

Ed and Al
Ed and Al

The beaches are white sand, palm-fringed, turquoise blue sea kind of thing. The place is so friendly and laid back, everyone speaks English (with a dollop of Creole) and reggae lazily drifts out of most bars and restaurants. You just can’t help but smile here, and that’s coming from me which says a lot.

The three of us went out snorkelling on the Monday morning (I’ve lost all concept of time and dates) with a small group of people. The local reef was beautiful with loads of tropical fishes, sharks, manta rays, coral etc. I really enjoyed the experience (first time for me) and will have to do some more on my travels.

After a couple of days the Tucan tour that we had left back in Mexico rocked up, with 30 new people and a few that were on the first leg of it with us. The next few days were fantastic as Ed, Al, Charmaine, myself and joined by Charmaines new partner in crime on the tour, Terrie. We all hung out together eating, drinking, kayaking round the island and generally having fun. I should mention a couple of the locals we’ve met. Maurice is the man, a big tall rasta dude from Chicago, living on the island running his own bar & grill – Wish Willys. He provided much hospitality which led to Terrie and myself ordering items which are not on the menus of any of the other restaurants in the area – the girl is a bad influence on my innocent self! Another local Reggie was working in the ‘I and I’ bar (reggae bar with hammocks and swings) and he’s such a nice guy. He’s originally from Hopkins on the mainland and I will no doubt bump into him again when I go there for the big music festival next weekend.

Come Thursday when the Tucan tour left along with Ed and Al returning to England, I found myself feeling sad and sorry for myself. This is going to be the toughest part of travelling, meeting really good people and then having to say goodbye all the time – what a pisser!

Still, within a couple hours I’d met some more people in the hostel, went out for drinks with them and had a really good night. How fickle am I?!!!

Right I need to go and start planning where next – I aim to get off the island in the next day or two and should get off the net before I run up a bill for more money than I have on me.



Tags: , , , , , ,

-254 responses to “Caye Caulker – Go Slow”

  1. Tim Niblock says:

    How do Ed?
    Glad the tour was a rip-roaring success, sorry I haven´t had time to read the rest of these- my email has listed you as junk for some very cruel reason.
    I´ve had some jolly travels myself, moving rapidly west to Guadalajara via Morelia and Patzcuaro, then a good dose of the Beautiful Pacific on the coastal route south. Pick of the bunch has to be Maruata near Tecoman- absolute paradise, with all the wildlife I could have ever imagined.
    What´s this music festival then?- sounds interesting but I fear I´ll still be doing the beach bum thing down this way. Might be in Puerto Escondido in time for the Surfing World champs on the 20th (rad) but if I miss it, all the better and more unspoilt.
    Enjoy the rest of the trip, will check back on your journal as often as I´m in civilised parts (not that often at present).
    Take care,
    Tim

  2. gwyn says:

    Maruata is an awesome place, in the proper sense of the word, I was there 8 years ago. See if you can stop at Rio Nexpa, tiny beach community (hammocks for rent, bar, restaurant), it’s about an hour North of Lazaro Cardenas (avoid). Hopefully they haven’t ruined it yet…

  3. Marc Grifiths says:

    Hi Ed,

    Sounds like your having a great time my friend. The places, weather, food and hospitality all sound a million miles from the unsunny, cold shores of mainland UK. Really enjoying reading the accounts of you and your mates, keep it up and have fun.

    Cheers

  4. Colin (uwe) says:

    Hi Ed,

    Never thought I’d hear about the I&I bar on Caulker ever again!

    Spent a few hazy rum soaked evenings chilling in the hammocks myself.

    Sounds like you’re having a great and long may it continue….

  5. Ali says:

    Hi Ed,

    Great to hear from you and all about your latest travels.

    Mike and I are in Toronto, Canada now and it is really cold here!

    After the Tucan tour, we headed to Washington and then took the train to Toronto. We have less than two weeks before we go home, but we have had a great year.

    Looking forward to hearing the next installment of your trip.

    Ali
    xx

  6. Cathy says:

    Ed – how VERY DARE YOU not give me and Marie a mention on your travel capers! Surely Mexico would have been a quieter place without us? It was a great trip that ended too soon, and gave me a hankering to pack up the rucky and disappear into travel heaven once again – sadly I am too geriatric and have a hefty mortgage to pay…. poor me! Glad to hear you are having a ball – never forget Chichen Iza you grumpy old get!!!
    PS – Nice to hear Mike and Ali’s news (above) Hello you two!
    Cathy x

  7. admin says:

    Good to hear from you all, sorry not to mention you two Cathy and Marie, but being the gobshite that you are you’ve made your mark (and I don’t mean snail trails).

    Tim, the festival is on right now but the weather has pissed on the parade somewhat. I guess you’re down for the surf festival right now so hope you’re having fun. Let me know how the pasty hunting went.

    Keep checking in people, it’s always nice to hear from you. Right got to go and have a good time – you better Belize it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *