BootsnAll Travel Network



Bloody Students

Antigua

Tuesday morning and it’s back to school for me, but not much changes. I’m still the poor student who can’t manage to get to class on time, do my homework properly or dedicate myself to my studies. Instead I spend four days prioritising my social life over study. On many of these nights we seem to end up at a ‘ladies night’ somewhere in town. This involves the ladies paying next to nothing for their drinks while the men pay through the nose for them, just so they can letch over the women. Thankfully I have Maria and Haley topping up my rum and cokes under the table all night so I get the best of both worlds, free drink and letching. It’s no wonder school the next morning is always such a struggle and my spanish has improved very little, though even a little is an improvement.

On the last day of school I go to Guatemala City with my teacher Edy, where we wander around the main square taking in El Presidente’s big bastard palace and the central cathedral. It was nice to revisit this city and see a different side to it, one that’s not so shitty and scarey as the first time I was passing through it a week earlier. However, as with all the big catholic cathedrals I’ve seen over here, it seems to involve plastering the place with a vulgar display of wealth, while poor people with fuck all to their names faithfully worship at the altar. What’s wrong with this picture?!

After spending nine days in Antigua I decide it’s time to move on. Not through boredom of the place, it’s somewhere I could settle for much longer, but the pressure of time to get up to Mexico for xmas means I should push on to Lake Atitlan, supposed to be one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, three hours west of Antigua.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *