BootsnAll Travel Network



First Tastes Of Bangkok

PICT3451

My view right now is looking down and along the Mae Nam Chao Phraya, the river that runs through Bangkok. We’re on the twentieth floor of the Montien Riverside Hotel. This place is huge and no expense is spared with the attention to detail…

PICT3420
PICT3426PICT3427
When we arrived yesterday our bags were taken off us and carried to our room whilst we were greeted by the manager. All very impressive and we’ve been glad of this luxury to help us climatise, but it’s doubtfully helping us prepare for the bug infested beds, snoring neighbours and cold showers soon to be forced upon us.

We nearly didn’t get here, for ten minutes we stood queuing for the wrong flight. Good thing we didn’t follow my advice and wait for everyone to board to give ourselves much wanted extra minutes of leg stretching, we ran to the right gate just in time to board the plane. When claiming our luggage at the other end we stood waiting at the wrong terminal for ten minutes so we anticipate this to be a recurring problem.

The flight was bum numbingly long, although, surprisingly, the food wasn’t bad; steak cooked just how I like it, and Laura wasn’t fussed with eating that late so I got a well needed double portion. We sat next to a chap on the plane who gave us some hot tips on langauge and pineapples, and the pineapples are as sweet as he promised.

As we queued to be let loose on the Thai people we got talking to a man who directed us to the domestic terminal, where we were to catch a taxi that wouldn’t rip us off. No harm in trying we thought; and he was right. The driver asked how much we usually pay. This tip is paying off already, we’re pro’s! I remembered reading the fare should be around three hundred and fifty Baht, so throwing all windows of opportunity to bargain out the window I told the driver 300-350. Monkey boy. We haggled a little, and I think my lame efforts of asking him to turn on the meter got him to stick to three hundred if we paid for the tolls. A total of about five pounds wasn’t bad at all for a trip across Bangkok; A long way I assure you.

After a brief dance around our room we set off to fill our stomachs. First we stopped by to check out the hotels swimming pool and this was the first time we were hit by the humidity. Before we’d gone from airport into taxi into hotel without a relief from air conditioning. You really need it here, although they have it on so cold everywhere it makes going outside even worse. Hopefully we’ll get used to that.

When we arrived downstairs the free bus service that the hotel provides was about to leave. “Where are you going?” asked the driver as we approached the bus, “Wherever!” I replied, how were we to know, anywhere was a good bet right now.

The bus was on on route to another of their hotels, fortunately situated right outside Patpong Night Market. I can easily believe there’s nothing quite like it. Market stalls sanwiched between sex shops and pussy parlores who’s touts were more than happy to invite me in, dispite Laura’s presence, “her to, you try, nice porn, good pussy”. No thanks mate. The market sales anything and everything and it scares me. The weapons you can buy range from flick knives, Klingon weapons that even flip out at the touch of a button in three directions, ninga stars that flick out when you throw them, samari swords of all different lengths, knuckle dusters and fantastically crafted knives. Admitidely I’d want to buy some if only they would allow me to bring them home.

We found a great restaurant and sat next to a couple girls from New Zealand and Australia who had been sent to Bangkok on a training course, all expenses paid and it’s not the first time they’ve been sent to distant destinations for the good of the company. So folks, the travel industry is your ticket around the world!

After filling our stomachs for under a fiver we headed back through Patpong to be badgered into parting with our money for a pair of authentic (yeah right) Diesel combats for me and a lovely matching silk outfit for Laura
.

We ended the evening at Joe’s Bar with a Chang beer and a few witty games of connect four. We also invented a new game – speed connect four. Laura beat me hands down. The bar is just a canopy on the street with comfy wooden chairs to sit and view Bangkok zoom by, this meant we were open to taunting touts; lesson learnt, don’t take a pen from a tout, you might get a bit of a shock!

PICT3446PICT3471



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “First Tastes Of Bangkok”

  1. Sam says:

    Hi guys! I’m Sam and I’m about to go to Australia for 12 months with my boyfriend Craig, just to travel and explore for a while. I’ve been keeping up with your blog for a couple of weeks now, trying to relate your experiences to my own; Craig and I will also be putting our relationship to the ultimate test on our adventure whilst facing obvious personal challenges as individuals – being away from home, family, friends, navigating around Oz and generally daring to try new things.

    It’s been really helpful reading about your preparations, excitement and final goodbyes with family and friends and I’m eagerly anticipating what it will be like for us (it’s 19 days to go on the countdown right now!).

    I hope you’re enjoying your travels so far, I’m looking forward to your next update. Good Luck and Have Fun!!

  2. Oliver says:

    Yada yada, blah blah, found anywhere to climb yet? ;o)

    I’ll have a throwing star and a samurai sword, thanks.

  3. Vanessa says:

    Wow travelling in style – you wait until the money starts to run out and all you are eating is rice dressed in your only outfit a pair of fake Diesel shorts!

  4. admin says:

    V; the ‘free’ money has now run out and we’re on our budget cash, keeping tabs of everything we spend – so far so good, but then we’re only on our first budgetted day.

    Lovely to hear from you all; we’ve just arrived in Banglapoo (well that’s how someone spelt it) and on our way to find Khoa San Rd!

    Lots of love to you all x x Rupert and Laura x x

  5. Matt says:

    Jeez!

    This ain’t half a decent blog, I am very impressed kids.

    If you keep this up throughout the year I will buy you both a bear when you get back. Thats right, I will really stretch that far…

    Glad to see you are both enjoying yourselves, and I look forward to more pictures and stories of you both venturing into the pornagraphic community – the “night market” as you call it.

  6. Nic, Ian, Megan and Charlotte says:

    Nice to see you are both enjoying yourselves. Make sure you keep this website updated as it is lovely to both see and hear what you are doing. Ian has even persuaded your mum to get connected to the internet so she can keep track of your progress

  7. admin says:

    Matt; what do we do with a bear? Can we eat it or does it take us for a ride?

  8. Tesh says:

    Hi guys – nice to hear you’re having a great time and getting out and about…make the most of it, you’re not missing much here…gloomy and raining…Take care and have fun!

  9. jeannette and jenna says:

    hi laura and rupert-hav just been allowed to look atyour website and to follow your progress.firstly i feel i should be on the phone laura to your ma to throw tissues at her by the dozen-speck shes needing them!anyway besides that all is looking wonderful with you and all very exciting-me is very envious!i will keep looking in when jenna around and at least wil be able to share your journeys and adventures.have fun jeannettexx

  10. admin says:

    Hey Jeannette. Thanks for posting on our site, lovely to hear from you. Hope Jenna is not getting herself in to much trouble!

    Tesh, thanks also. Hope work is well, and you are not working too hard. You can always grab a flight out here, you know, sometimes, the grass is greener on the otherside!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *