BootsnAll Travel Network



Somewhere down that crazy river…

B:
After all the plush and cush of the first few days, it seemed time for a little adventure, Costa Rica-style. First up: canyoneering! Canyoneering is a combination of scrambling down a steep river canyon, often neck-deep in water, and rappelling down waterfalls up to 200 feet high. Mel and I suited up, strapping on our harnesses and clipping into our…Mel? Mel?

Strangely, Mel wasn’t insane enough to follow me on this one, and instead opted for some shopping in La Fortuna, possibly the world’s worst collection of animal wind chimes, brutal bikinis and general handcrafted sh*t.

M:
The afternoon brought our first true adventure together: rafting the Rio Balsa class III rapids, with Desafio Adventures (www.desafio.com). As our guide took us through the safety instructions of what to do if/when our raft flipped over or one of us fell out, I repeated the following mantra: “Brendan, I hate you right now. I don’t know what I ever saw in you. I will make you pay for making me do this.” [This was distinctly in Mel’s outside voice. – B]

The rapids were fierce, the water was cold, and the paddling furious at times. And no, neither one of us fell out. In the end, we both loved rafting the Rio Balsa, and are anxious to tackle even more challenging rivers as we make our way across Costa Rica.

You’ll note in the pic below, that Sporty Mel is not one of my sexiest looks. Apologies in advance. And for all of you who told me I would bail on wearing makeup, you were right – but I did hold out for 5 days.

Team BrelAttitude MelSporty Mel



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply