BootsnAll Travel Network



Sunday in the Chaco capital

Aug 14, 2005 – Sunday

This morning, I took an early bus to Resistencia. I got to town at about 2pm. When I got to the bus station, I looked around for information. Everything…and I mean, everything, was closed. It is Sunday. So with the limited information I had in my guidebook, I hopped into a cab to the city. It is sweltering here! I had to peel off all my layers as I got into the dusty cab. I want to say it´s about 85 degrees here today, and full sun. I tried to go to Hotel Bariloche, but they had no space, so I went to Hotel Grand Royal. A nice place, at 45 pesos a night…shit. Well, like I said before..small towns = hotels. Besides, I had no map of the city and no idea where anything was at.

I settled in at the hotel, got a map from them, and then went to the Plaza Mayor to hang out and write. All shops were closed. People were in the park. The plaza is pretty big. Resistencia is the city of statues, as there are many sprawling the city. I walked around to see some of the statues in the park. It was a relaxing day of chilling out in the park. I mean, nothing was opened, so I couldn´t do much else but peoplewatch. The swings squeeked as the kids played on them, families were out and about, picnicing, enjoying mate.

I was sitting in front of one of the monuments, and an old crazy guy sat next to me. He asked me what I was studying (I was writing), and I told him that I was writing. Then this old man would not shut up. I had a hard time understanding him because he slurred his speech. And he kept on talking. He was a grumpy old man, complaining about everything. And he wouldn´t shut up. I just wanted him to go away. Why do these crazy people follow me around??? Finally, he left and I was at peace again.

I stayed in the park the entire day. I watched the sky turn colors of pink, orange, and purple over the cathedral as the sun set. In the evening, there was a dance troupe in the park and performances. They were doing some Brazilian dances, shaking every limb in site. It was pretty neat. Somewhat a carnival atmosphere in the park, as there were cotton candy vendors, toy vendors, and a guy selling extremely phallic looking balloons.

I left for the hotel around 10pm, and people were still out, kids still playing on the swings. I swear, the people here don´t sleep.



Tags: ,

One Response to “Sunday in the Chaco capital”

  1. luisina Says:

    Hey, my name is Luisina and i’m from Resistencia-Chaco.Send me an e-mail ir you would like to contact me

  2. Posted from Argentina Argentina

Leave a Reply