BootsnAll Travel Network



Sàenz Peña Zoo and Ecological Gardens

I went to the Zoo and ecological gardens today. It was a nice day for it, full sun and about 70 degrees out. Better enjoy the warm weather while I can, because it´ll get colder from now on! I didn´t have much information about the zoo or how to get there, so I caught a cab for 6 pesos. The entrance was 2 pesos.

When I arrived, it seemed like I was the only person in sight besides the workers. I walked around, saw some of the animals like various species of birds, deer-like animals, and monkeys, then I encountered a monkey that escaped from it´s habitat. I made sure to keep my distance because…well, you never know…I don´t know what kind of monkey it was. It was not the kind that I had seen in the habitat. He was just climbing on the chain linked fences, walking around the park and whatnot. I walked on to see some more of the animals, like the tapirs, tortoises, etc.

Then the loose monkey appeared sitting on a fence. I kept my distance, and backed off. A group of teenage girls approached it. We started talking, and they were fascinated that I´m from the states. We talked a bit, they offered me some cheesy poofs, then we went our separate ways.

The zoo is not very big, but has habitats for lions, a manx, a hippo, and various other creatures. On the grounds are botanical gardens as well. The botanical gardens are of the natural Chaqueño environment. I walked the trails of the gardens in solitude. There are signs everywhere — don´t mess with the nature, don´t destroy the nature, nature working, etc. They really want to keep the flora as is.

I walked back around the outskirts of the gardens, and I hear someone yell my name out. It´s the group of girls I met earlier, so I went over to their group. They were sitting under a tree — the group consisted of guys and girls, about 10 people. One had a guitar in hand. We talked for a long time, hung out, and I taught them a little bit of English. We all had a good time. They were going to set up a tent, so we said our goodbyes and chaus. They were so sweet and so nice. There´s not much to do in Sàenz Peña, but one of the reasons I like coming to the smaller cities is for the people. That group of teenagers proved that point.

I walked by a laguna and a marshy laguna, then headed for the exit. I caught the #2 bus back to town. The driver was really friendly and we talked for a while as well. Good, nice people here.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply