BootsnAll Travel Network



The Woman Who Just Wanted to Talk

Hello all!  OK, a quick entry to get caught up…

Monday night we found a state park (named First Landing) near Virginia Beach.  We got in just as the sun was setting, so we wanted to get going on setting the tent up.  As we were getting out of the truck to unload our gear, a short woman with long, black hair walks up to us and says, in a New York/New Jersey? (I can’t tell the difference, yet.) dialect, “You can walk around to the empty sites for firewood if you want.  And, yea, you’re better off up here.  I’m down on the ocean side, and it’s windier than a mother-f’er.  But, I don’t know if you want this site.  It’s too hard.  And, did I tell you, you can just walk around and pick up downed wood for your fire… like that one right over there.  But, you’ll want to get it started pretty soon.”

And, I’m thinking, “Well, first we’d like to set our tent up.  And, we’d love to chat, but unless you’d like to help us, you’re kind of keeping us from that task.”

But without much of a response from us beyond nods and “yea, you’re probably right,” she looks us both over and asks (mostly to me), “Are you Jewish?”

“No.”
“Really?  Ya know, I had a couple Jewish doctors, and they were just excellent.”  She went on to elaborate on some procedure she had done by one of said doctors, but I honestly wasn’t listening too closely.  Somehow, it came up that we were from Minnesota.

“Culpepper!” she exclaimed.  “You shoulda kept Culpepper.”  She continued on about some other Vikings football players (or former)… I heard the names Moss, Moon…  Neither Dan nor I really keep up on NFL football.  Then, she dropped several other names of players in other teams, all of which might as well have fallen on deaf ears.  Dan tried to engage her with the little he had heard of the players: their run-ins with the law.  But, I tried to move out of her focus toward the truck to signal that we really wanted to start unloading our gear.  It didn’t work.

She looked at Jake, and we got all the usual questions.  “What’s your dog’s name?” “What kind is he?”  In my explaining that we’re unsure of his breed because we found him when he was – the vet guessed – about 8 months old, I mentioned that he was now about 8 years old.  She explained that she used to be a Vet Tech.  She began giving us suggestions about the various blood tests we should have done on Jake when he gets to be a certain age.  “Because he’s getting up in age.  He must be about, what, 8 years old?”  We kind of lost her in the Vet jargon, and Dan finally interrupted, “Wait, wait.  I hate to interrupt, but we need to get started on our tent if we’re going to get it set up before dark.”

“Oh, OK, but he should really get that blood test, and that collar is too big.  You really need a smaller one.  And, remember, there’s wood for your fire all around the campground.  You just need to walk around and find it.”

“OK, thanks.  Nice talking to you.”  OK, on to the tent.

The next morning, I got up, let Jake out and, then, back in the tent, and went to shower and shave – yes, I shaved for the first time since before we left – about 2 ½ weeks.  It was nice NOT shaving during that time, but it’s also nice to be clean-shaven now.  I probably won’t let it go that long again, but who knows.

I made banana wheat pancakes for breakfast; they turned out well.

We broke camp, and got on the road.  Almost immediately, we crossed Chesapeake Bay via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel – actually, tunnels; there are two of them.  The eastern shore of Virginia is very pretty, and we noticed some houses/farms that looked like they had been plantations – with rows of big, old trees leading to a large house.

We were going to go to Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge/Assateague Island National Seashore, but we learned at the entrance that pets are not allowed – not even in your vehicle.  We continued up U.S. 13 into Maryland and, then, Delaware.  We stopped for the night at Killens Pond State Park, south of Dover, DE.  We stayed in the “primitive” section of the campground, which was cheaper and required a short walk to our site (about a half block).

Wednesday, we got the oil changed in the truck and continued on to Atlantic City, NJ.  Mostly, we just wanted to see the place; neither of us are gamblers and we had Jake with us.  We found “Lucy,” the giant “elephant,” walked through “her” gift shop, and took a picture, just for the cheesy factor.  Then, we found a cheap place to park near the Hilton, and walked – with Jake – down the boardwalk between the casinos/shops and the beach/ocean.  We went down quite a ways, past Trump Plaza, and, then, back again.  Then, it was time to find a campground.  After running into problems with restrictions on dogs (no dogs) at New Jersey State Parks and State Forests, we ended up at a small, private campground near Tuckerton, NJ.

More later…

Tim



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *