BootsnAll Travel Network



Siena to Rome

We spent the last three nights in Siena, and had a fun and relaxing time.  Well, it was relaxing AFTER we found the guest house we booked with.  Yes, it took us a while to find this place, too.  We learned that the signs to “Centro” aren’t necessarily the best signs to follow when you’re walking.  It might have been the best route to “Centro” by car, but not by foot!

One highlight of Siena was visiting the Wednesday Morning Markets.  Everything was for sale — from olives to fruit to fashion clothes to cooking utensils — you name it.  We just picked up some large oranges that were probably the best tasting and smelling oranges we have ever had, some excellent olives, a chunk of cheese and some pears.  The guest house where we stayed had a neat little common area, so we had our breakfasts and a couple other simple meals there.

One other highlight was the climb to the top of the city tower, which stands above Il Campo, the old town’s center square — magnificent views of this very hilly city with the jam-packed old town giving way to a rolling, rural countryside.

We just arrived in Rome this afternoon.  We took the Metro to the city center to pick up our tickets to attend Midnight Mass at St. Peter’s Basilica, and then walked around town a bit.

More later,

Tim



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *