BootsnAll Travel Network



Flashback to Anne Franks House

When we went to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, I was “struck” by a few things.

The first was: The house looks different in my mind than the real one. This isn’t a great surprise but the front of the place isn’t as “old” looking as I thought it would be. It was recently updated and fixed. They didn’t change anything. They just made it look like it did back then; no wear and tear.

The second was: The quiet. As we entered the building, there was a video telling us about the normal daily life of the Franks when they hid here. They had to be still and quiet and in their places by 8:30 am until evening. This was so no odd floor creeks “from upstairs where no one is supposed to be” gave them away to the workers below. This building was a pectin manufacturing building originally owned by Otto Frank, Annes father. The absolute importance of quiet was impressed upon all of us visitors and when we all toured the house, there was barely any talking. Everyone seemed to tiptoe about as we walked because one floor creek was all it would take for us to be caught and packed off to Auschwitz or similar.

The third thing was: the Franks were not alone in their hiding spot. There was another family too. They all lived in the upper floor and attic of the building..basically 2 floors! I didn’t know the space was that big. I expected 3 rooms or equivalent. Don’t get me wrong. About (I think) 8 people crammed in 3 rooms, 1 attic living space and a bath is still tiny.

By the way, they still don’t know who snitched on the Franks and got them caught.

Otto Frank was the only survivor of the family.

The last thing: Anne Frank wished/wanted to grow up to be a journalist and eventually a famous writer. Her diary was practice for her. She got her wish, just not in the way she expected.

Anne Frank died of Typhus at Bergen-Belsen about 1 month before it was liberated.

Write more later,

Dan



Tags:

One response to “Flashback to Anne Franks House”

  1. Brenda says:

    Tim and Dan,

    WOW!!! What an interesting account of your tour thru the Anne Frank house!! I am sure it was very moving!

    The Anderson’s are all fine! Parker did break his ring finger and has a cast on for 3 weeks. Tyler got a job at Home Depot, and Amanda is doing great. Looking forward to her 21st birthday!

    Miss you guys!

    Love ya,

    Bren

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *