BootsnAll Travel Network



breathing that fresh mountain air

So I spent a few days in Delhi, which I really don’t recommend…unless you like noisy, polluted cities.  I was there awaiting the train that would take me north to Pathankot where I would board a bus for Dharamsala.  I mostly spent my time reading and staying away from the noise and crowds as much as possible.  I’ve discovered that being in all that mess just puts me in a foul mood.  However, Delhi did end on a somewhat positive note.  As I was walking into a store (on my way to buy snacks for the train) a man grabs me from behind and he was about to get an elbow to chest when I turned around and saw that it was Gurpreet, a friend I met in Hampi.  We had a chai and a beer and then he walked me to the train station.

Lluckily the train was delayed or I may not have made it…and then it continued to be delayed (for about 3 more hours) where  I had the (mis)fortune of watching a guy abuse a couple of dogs trying to get them to fight (this was after G and I saw another group of guys outside of the station kicking another dog and laughing their asses off about it)…so of course I had to say something.

The population of India just doesn’t seem to know how to treat dogs…the cow may be sacred, but the dogs are less than animals.

The train ride was pretty uneventful but let me ask you guys something.  Do you think that at midnight on a sleeper train is the appropriate time to try and pick a new ringtone?  Or that 5am is the appropriate time to play loud music without the aid of headphones?  Or is 6am an even better time to try to find that ringtone?  I woke up cranky and with a stuffy nose.

So my train finally made it into Pathankot where I was promptly put on a bus for Dharamsala…or so I thought.  Before I got on the bus I must have asked atleast 5 different people if this was the bus to Dharamsala, all said yes.  When the bus was moving and I paid my fare I told the guy I was going to Dharamsala…he didn’t even bat an eyelash and handed me the ticket.  Well, about halfway through the journey (after napping b/c there seemed to be a cold coming on) I started to notice that the town we were going through had the same name as a town I passed on the train.  I get out the guidebook, look at the map and realize that I’m on the road to Amritsar…about 3 & 1/2 hours in the direction I had just come by train and 30km from the Pakistan border…atleast 6 hours by bus to Dharamsala .

SoI get off the bus in Amritsar and start to get the usual from the rickshaw wallahs and such (and mind you, I was not in the mood)…so I walk over to the clearest spot I see, sit down on my bag and burst out crying (it was one of those releases that just needed to happen) but of course that attracted the attention from every man that was standing around…which at first just started to piss me off…but they were just concerned for my welfare and after speaking to them they directed me to a guest house  and told me about the state bus that leave at noon the next day for Dharamsala.  I must have looked like some sort of lunatic…crying because I got on the wrong bus!

So the next morning I have breakfast and then get myself to the bus station.  I had about 20 minutes to wait.  When I sat down I noticed that there was a man that seemed to be paying me a bit too much attention.  At first there was someone sitting between us on the bench but once he got up this particular creepy man kept inching ever so slowly closer to me… I could smell the booze wafting in my direction.  When I closed my book he tried to grab it from me.  I got up and walked to another bench.  He kept staring and then started to make his way to my new bench which is when I walked over to the ticket booth to ask for help…the dude was seriously creeping me out.  It took about 5 times to explain the situation and when I looked up to point the guy out he was right there at the ticket booth.  He was promptly escorted off the premises.

So I get on the bus for a 6 1/2 hour ride up to the mountains on my way to the Dalai Lama.  The bus ride was uneventful…except for one magnificent series of moments.  I got to see the full moon rise over the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas!!!

Once in Dharamsala I found a decent guest house and almost immediately passed out.  The next day I was planning on heading to McLeod Ganj (the residence of the Tibetan Govt. in exile and the Dalai Lama) to register for the teachings, unfortunately when I awoke I was not feeling well at all.  I was bedridden for a few days with an aweful cold…so I missed the registration and have not been able to see or hear the  Dalai Lama or his teaching.   It’s a bit of a disappointment considering all I went through to get up here…but hey, I got to see the full moon rise over the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas, that in itself was worth the trouble.

I seriously think I’m allergic to air pollution.  The only other time I’ve had a bad cold in India was after spending a week in Hyderabad, another noisy, polluted city.

I’ll leave here in a couple days and head to Manikaran, another mountain town, famous for it’s healing hot springs.  Then I’ll have a couple weeks to start my journey to Nepal to spend a couple of weeks or so, renew my Indian visa and come back for more.



Tags:

One response to “breathing that fresh mountain air”

  1. Heather says:

    Sunny my love, you are a dear earth spirit that scares and inspires me. Be well, keep typing and love life

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *