BootsnAll Travel Network



UN at its best

Sorry this one might be long but the last week and a half have been chock a block filled with great experiences. It didn’t take me long to figure out that in order for me to have an interesting experience here at the UN i have to seek out the work.

Last week i made it known that i was seeking addiitonal projects and an incredible opportunity landed in my lap. I was asked to attend a two day private session for an advisory committee meeting on the prevention of genocide. Not necessarily fully understanding what i would encounter, i put on a smile and walked in to the meeting only to be faced with Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Romeo Dallaire as 2 of the 10 committee members. I was floored. I couldn’t believe that i would be in the same room with these two incredible men for 2 days.

For those that want more info. on both please see

Desmond Tutu: http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1984/tutu-bio.html

Romeo Dallaire: http://www.romeodallaire.com/biography.htm

My role during the meeting was to take notes and write the briefing report afterwards. I can’t go into too much detail of what was discussed but in essence, this comittee was brought together to provide their expert advice – having all had experience in genocide related work – to the special advisor to the secretary general on the prevention of genocide (ttp://www0.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=11312&Cr=genocide&Cr1=)   

The special advisor was appointed two years ago because the SG felt it was urgently important to have a team of people that focus exclusively on providing ‘counsel’ to the SG and in turn the security council on ways to prevent genocide rather than wait for action when genocide occurs.

These individuals all had in some way or another dealt with genocide. For example as you will read from the link Romeo Dallaire was the Force Commander for the UN Mission during the genocide in Rwanda (if anyone saw Hotel Rwanda he was the main UN guy in the movie).

They all contributed to a very rigurous discussion on how to better affect decisions taken by the security council on when to intervene and how to detect warning signs of a genocide in the making. It was truly amazing and humbling to listen to practical experience from the field rather than very high level talk of ‘peace’ and security with no real action. There was a definite sense of translating each of their experiences into action rather than continuting to have meetings about it.

Archbishop Tutu was especially amazing in the way he was continually pushing forward in stating that each meeting being held at these organizations mothes are being forced out of their homes alone and left to fend for their lives and their children. He was adamant about the fact that people need to be made more accountable.

I did get the courage to approach him during the meetings. He had spoken quite eloquently about Iraq. When i introduced myself, he was so determined to learn my name and pay attention to every word i said. I also did get a blessing from him – which i have to believe that coming from an Archbishop who was instrumental in getting rid of appartheid along with Nelson Mandela is a sure ticket to heaven!

I learned a great deal from each individual who spoke about what really happnes on the ground both the frustrations and the successes. Although challenging there is hope that we are breaking ground on tackling issues related to preventin rather than waiting for mass killing to take place before acting.

 till next time…..



Tags:

One response to “UN at its best”

  1. ban says:

    Hey cheech, i’m green with envy ! Keep writing the blogs whenever u can, they make great reading. You’ll need them for your memoirs when you get wrinkly too. speak to you soon chick x much love x

  2. Nadine says:

    Hey Joey!
    What a fantastic opportunity! You sound truly inspired, not that you need any help in that department!! Soak it all up while you can, you can feed off this energy for years to come…
    Looking forward to hearing more stories soon. Love, N.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *