BootsnAll Travel Network



Uyuni Salt Flats and the Altiplano Tour, Part 2

After a harrowing eve in the cave hostel was exaserbated by equal amounts of caffinated coke as well as alcohol it was a sleepless night to be had by all.  Still, we were onward by 8am.

The Altiplano tours second through forth days consist of driving around in some pretty amazing scenery.   Most of it is actually quite ´otherworldly´, and I imagine some great star wars type movies could be filmed here, just due to the oddness of the landscape.     One of the biggest obstacles for all involved, including us, is the very high altitude.  Most of the area is well above 14k feet, and the highest point we reached was above 16k feet.  On humans, the most noticable effects are supreme out of breathness at the slightest exertion, and headaches.    I was pretty lucky because I really had the slightest of the symptoms, only getting a headache the 3rd day, while we were at the highest points.    Anyhow, on plants, the altitude creates a world where it rains , but still very little grows.  I´d say nothing above 1 foot tall, and even that is scrubby and desert looking.    Very few animals live up there, but aside from humans, you have llamas, vicunas (look like tiny camels without humps), bush rabbits, a few lizards, 3 types of flamingos and zorros.  Zorro, for those of you who grew up watching him along with Tonto, is actually the word for fox.    Learn something new every day.  

Speaking of which, my spanish vocab has moved from 10 words to approximately 13.   I can now say ´in your dreams´, to leary gringo coveters.  And I still can manage yo quiero taco bell.   

Okay, back to the trip.    Mark and Aaron were very taken with the various rock formations that seem to have dropped from Mars onto the red desert pan ground.   Some look like massive donut stacks, some like something you might find underwater.  The two of them managed to climb anything they could, and Hannah and I tried not to watch.    Well, we climbed a few of the safe ones too, I´ll admit.  Safety first does not seem to be in the vernacular of Bolivia.  Nothing stupid, dangerous, or even fatal is off limits. 

Rocks Formations

The desert area that the donut rocks, and some of the other dali-esque stones live is called the SaLoLi (this is phoenetical, folks), again very pretty and absolutely impossible to catch on camera. 

Along with the rock formations, the area is known for large lakes with snow peaked Andes Mountains in the background. One of these lakes, called Laguna Colorado, is a brilliant shade of red. While here I have struggled to come up with good adjectives for the place. We are seeing so much unusual and breathtaking stuff that I´m beginning to take all these sites for granted, and I´ve tired of saying ´amazing´´awesome` etc.

Laguna Colorado

For you biology/geology inspired people, the Laguna Colorado is a relatively shallow, but large crimson colored lake. It is home to nearly 10,000 flamingos. Their little pink selves show up in stark contrast to the salt rings, red water, and looming volcano just behind the water. The reason the lake is red is due to the microorganisms that live in the lake waters and respond to the wind. The windier the redder, and let me tell you we were not short on wind. It is blanky blank freezing on the altiplano. Despite the fact that Bolivia is an equatorial country surrounded by jungle, the thin air, high altitude and galeforce winds result in below freezing temps as soon as the sun sets. It is an odd sight to see a desert coated in ice in the mornings.  Sleeping bags are an absolute must on this trip. 

Another lagoon, which is colored a brilliant teal, is aptly named Laguna Verde. It is basically filled with arsenic and copper. My guess is nothing lives there. We are about 3 miles from Argentina and Chile (Atacama Desert), and the entire area is a Mars red color.

To round up the trip of otherworldly sites we visited a field of geysers and a nice hot spring where we got to wash off some of the grime. Its like Iceland but with absolutely nobody there, no stairs, guards or orders to take a shower before you enter. Hannah and I basically stripped off and got dry clothes on in front of any and all watching. But, after several days of peeing roadside, this was no biggie.

Nights 2 and 3 of our tour were spent in hostels which improved each night, with the third night spent in a little government sponsered ´model´town. They have showers there! I´ll post the name as soon as I remember, just in case you want to avoid cave hostels if you are ever in the Andean highlands. Some authentic experiences should never be experienced.

BTW our driver, Saoul, has notified us that their are no Alpacas in the altiplano, but only after an entire day of me scrutinizing every single herd of cameloid beings. People keep telling me they are different, but a) they all look the same and b)they all look the same. I think Alpaca´s are a myth. No seriously, apparently they can´t live up that high and are found in areas more like La Paz or Sucre. We will see. I still bet they are just the llama´s that take showers and therefore their hair is softer. Oh, and you can buy an entire llama for 20 bucks, so think twice when you are purchasing spiffy llama socks for 24.99 at REI.

So, tomorrow, Day 4 consists of getting up outrageously early, driving for 2 hours, getting snacks and hopping on a 7 hour bus ride. This will more than likely suck, as their are no paved roads around here, and you´ve noted how successful we have been with the buses thus far.

Tags: , , , , ,



86 Responses to “Uyuni Salt Flats and the Altiplano Tour, Part 2”

  1. Education Says:

    I think this is among the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Technology Says:

    I just couldn’t depart your website prior to suggesting that I really enjoyed the standard information an individual supply on your visitors? Is going to be again regularly in order to inspect new posts

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Finance Says:

    As a Newbie, I am continuously exploring online for articles that can aid me. Thank you

  6. Travel & Leisure Says:

    We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

  7. Technology Says:

    I am continually searching online for posts that can assist me. Thank you!

  8. Business Says:

    hello!,I like your writing very much! percentage we be in contact more about your article on AOL? I require an expert on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Having a look ahead to peer you.

  9. Automotive Says:

    Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clarity in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Business Says:

    I’ve been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks , I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

  12. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I simply couldn’t leave your web site before suggesting that I really loved the usual information an individual supply in your guests? Is going to be back continuously in order to check out new posts

  13. Posted from Switzerland Switzerland
  14. Technology Says:

    It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

  15. Travel & Leisure Says:

    I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

  16. Technology Says:

    I simply couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual info a person supply on your visitors? Is going to be again frequently to check up on new posts

  17. Technology Says:

    Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

  18. Finance Says:

    Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

  19. Health & Fitness Says:

    Hello.This post was really fascinating, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this matter last week.

  20. Posted from United States United States
  21. Technology Says:

    Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

  22. Real Estate Says:

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

  23. Business & Finance Says:

    Excellent blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

  24. Travel & Leisure Says:

    whoah this blog is great i like reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You understand, a lot of persons are looking round for this info, you can help them greatly.

  25. Posted from United States United States
  26. Technology Says:

    Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and web and this is actually frustrating. A good blog with exciting content, that is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web-site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.

  27. vacation secret Says:

    Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article.

  28. online electronics store Says:

    Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such fantastic information being shared freely out there.

  29. kitchen remodel cost Says:

    Magnificent website. Plenty of helpful info here. I¡¦m sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you to your effort!

  30. Automotive Says:

    You are a very smart person!

  31. Posted from Switzerland Switzerland
  32. House & Home Improvement Says:

    You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

  33. Posted from Switzerland Switzerland
  34. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I’m commenting to let you be aware of what a great discovery my princess went through viewing yuor web blog. She figured out a wide variety of pieces, not to mention how it is like to possess an ideal teaching style to make other folks really easily thoroughly grasp various multifaceted subject matter. You really exceeded people’s expected results. Thanks for offering such productive, trustworthy, edifying and cool tips on that topic to Lizeth.

  35. Posted from Switzerland Switzerland
  36. House & Home Improvement Says:

    Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

  37. House & Home Improvement Says:

    obviously like your web-site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform the truth however I¡¦ll certainly come back again.

  38. Posted from United States United States
  39. House & Home Improvement Says:

    you’re really a just right webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It sort of feels that you’re doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a great job on this subject!

  40. Posted from United States United States
  41. Games Says:

    I carry on listening to the news bulletin speak about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

  42. Posted from United States United States
  43. House & Home Improvement Says:

    Hey very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally¡KI am happy to seek out a lot of helpful info right here in the publish, we want develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

  44. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I just could not go away your site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info a person supply to your guests? Is going to be again often in order to check out new posts

  45. House & Home Improvement Says:

    Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you made blogging glance easy. The whole glance of your site is wonderful, as well as the content!

  46. automotive Says:

    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site. I’m hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a good example of it.

  47. automotive Says:

    It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

  48. Business Says:

    Somebody essentially assist to make significantly articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual publish amazing. Excellent process!

Leave a Reply