BootsnAll Travel Network



Postscript Bolivia: Final Thoughts

Got home yesterday by 9pm, after a 27 hour odyssey of travel. Here’s a collective of what I spent in the first 45 minutes after stepping off the plane:

Cab: 35 dollars

Subway Sandwich: 4.50

Cat food/Litter: 5.75

Bottle of water: 2:00

Total: $47.25 or 378 Bolivianos.

In the entire time I was in Bolivia, I spend in total 1,160 Bolivianos or approximately 4.40 Bvs per hour. I am now spending at a rate of 492 per hour, and I’m eating Subway for dinner! It is literally 100x more expensive in NYC.

Bolivia might be one of the cheapest places on Earth. The average full meal costs 1- 2 bucks. Average beer 80 cents. Average cab ride, 70-90 cents. Internet access, 25 cents/hour. Blow Up Kit: 1 buck. Average night in a cheapie hostel, 2 bucks. Average night in a reasonable hotel, 5-10 bucks. I have determined you could live very comfortably, at a hotel even, for between $10 and $15k dollars a year. If you got yourself an apartment, probably less.

Having spent a full night sleeping in my own bed, I thought I’d put together some thoughts on Bolivian travel, and my experience and impressions:

The People: Very friendly. Most speak only Spanish. With the exception to Sucre, begging is not the norm, which given the state of affairs in most of the country, is unusual. Many people are extremely poor, though some are definitely well off by Bolivian standards. The people in Sucre seemed to be the best off, which might account for the begging culture. Please do not help inspire a begging culture if you go. Give them food if possible, or pay them a little extra for something they do for you, but do not hand over money. Bad for you, bad for them.

The Scenery: Stunning, and unique. Even the ubiquitously horrible bus rides are mitigated by fantastic scenery through most of the country. As far as the cities are concerned, some are more picturesque than others. Sucre looks like a mix between a European city and a South American city, and it definitely is charming. Something about Potosi struck me too, though its dusty and chaotic. The Altiplano towns are an experience to see, but with a few exceptions, they amount to villages of little mudbrick huts, with little else.

The Bathrooms: If you find a good one, its like a grand prize. Though most are not Africa/SE style holes in the ground, (they actually have a toilet), many don’t work, don’t flush, flush but send flushed material all over (yuck yuck yuck), and most are probably cleaned on a yearly basis. In the cities things are much better at the hotels, but always carry your tp with you.

The Food: In general, good. Not particularly good for you and certainly not gourmet, but good. Jamon y queso is the standby, but we ate a lot of different varies of food, include whatever was put in front of us while on the Altiplano (Llama for instance). The sopas (soups) are particularly good, I thought. Several nights I also ate the equivalent of beef kabobs, which combined with rice, was excellent. Altogether, you will not starve in Bolivia, for lack of edible options. Vegetarians, you are in trouble. I’d recommend bringing some ‘tide over’ snacks with you, or else you will be eating a lot of rice and dry bread. Oh, and pringles seemed to be available everywhere.

Comfort Level: Widely variable. The Altiplano, about as uncomfortable as you are going to get while not actually camping out night after night. Showers and working facilities rare. Beds, not comfie, Sleeping bags a must for both skeeve reduction and because it is cold cold cold at night. Conversely, we stayed in fine, to quite nice places in the cities of La Paz, Potosi, and Sucre, none of which cost very much, and all of which had comfier beds, working showers and toilets.

Cultural Difficulty: Not difficult, as I mentioned the people are friendly, and the cultural ‘layout’ is pretty easy going. They do have a siesta from noon to 2:30, which makes it difficult to do anything but eat or sleep during that time, but unlike some places, people actually do come back to work at 2:30. Most of the population is Roman Catholic, so most western traveller’s will be very familiar with the customs.

History/Geology/Educational Opportunities: Many many many. This is not “a pop your feet in sandals and read a book at the beach” destination. Going into a working mine and taking the same risks as the miners, cannot be beat for real life education on the subject. Blowing up dynamite was fun too.

Getting Around: Difficult. Long and Difficult. And, they cancel flights for drizzle. If I had to do it again, I would schedule in an extra day just for ‘crap happens’ and have your flight leave a full 48 hours later than your expected date of arrival in that final city. Also, pack an IPOD or equivalent, a good book, and playing cards. And rum.

Climate: From very cold, to very hot. Many layers are the key.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed it.  I’ll be posting some mini movies to my website soon, and I’ll put a notification here when that all gets done, it should show a bunch of the country and our adventures.   I have to wait for Hannah to get back to the UK from Peru.  Until next time, thanks everyone (whoever all you people are) for reading, you definitely make it more fun to write! I’ll be back soon, going somewhere new.

MarkJessAzureLakesmall.jpg

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,



341 Responses to “Postscript Bolivia: Final Thoughts”

  1. miracle breast pills Says:

    Major thanks for the article post.Really thank you! Great.

  2. salman khan movies Says:

    A big thank you for your blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.

  3. doorman berlin Says:

    pretty beneficial material, overall I feel this is worthy of a bookmark, thanks

  4. data recovery services Says:

    you are stating and the best way by which you assert it.

  5. find more Says:

    Supporting the weblog.. thanks alot Is not it superb whenever you uncover a good publish? Loving the publish.. cheers Adoring the weblog.. pleased

  6. Jennalee Says:

    Some truly choice blog posts on this website , saved to my bookmarks.

  7. free global shipping Says:

    Im thankful for the article post.Really thank you! Want more.

  8. buy shoes in bulk Says:

    Really informative post.Much thanks again.

  9. Stirnlampen angebot Says:

    Really informative blog article.Really thank you! Fantastic.

  10. AI Says:

    Thank you for your blog post. Fantastic.

  11. free full download for windows pc Says:

    This awesome blog is obviously entertaining and also amusing. I have discovered a bunch of useful tips out of this source. I ad love to come back over and over again. Thanks!

  12. Entertainment gossip news Says:

    Wow, great blog.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.

  13. thay doi giay chung nhan dau tu Says:

    Just Browsing While I was browsing yesterday I noticed a excellent post concerning

  14. Engineering Says:

    pretty handy stuff, overall I consider this is well worth a bookmark, thanks

  15. video downloader Says:

    Very informative article.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.

  16. video content analytics Says:

    time and yours is the greatest I ave came upon so far. However, what in regards to the bottom

  17. Lamborghini Rental Says:

    You need to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality blogs on the net. I most certainly will recommend this website!

  18. the best affiliate marketing course Says:

    That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere. Brief but very precise info Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!

  19. hotel reservation Says:

    pretty practical material, overall I think this is really worth a bookmark, thanks

  20. best tea reviews Says:

    Just Browsing While I was surfing today I noticed a great article concerning

  21. hibiscus reviews Says:

    This awesome blog is definitely interesting additionally diverting. I have found a bunch of interesting things out of it. I ad love to return over and over again. Cheers!

  22. hotel deals Says:

    This is my first time go to see at here and i am genuinely happy to read all at single place.

  23. DNA test Says:

    You made some clear points there. I looked on the internet for the topic and found most guys will consent with your site.

  24. Luxury Yachts Croatia Says:

    Thanks-a-mundo for the post.Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

  25. facebook promotion Says:

    Im grateful for the article post.

  26. kamagra Says:

    Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.

  27. Site Says:

    Inspiring story there. What happened after? Thanks!

  28. Romero Says:

    Hey, thanks for the post.Really looking forward to read more. Cool.

  29. Memory Foam Mattress Says:

    I really love your website.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you develop this web site yourself?

  30. Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys Says:

    Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog. Will read on

  31. Travel Says:

    Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, let alone the content!

  32. baby receiving blankets Says:

    Wow! Thank you! I permanently needed to write on my site something like that. Can I implement a part of your post to my site?

  33. lawn pest control Says:

    Perfectly composed subject material , thankyou for selective information.

  34. Air max pas cher Says:

    Air max pas cher

    Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still ca…

  35. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  36. golden goose scarpe Says:

    golden goose scarpe

    ferocemente come ever.Cadmus, disse la voce di nuovo, offerta quei cinque guerrieri rinfoderare theirswords. Essi vi aiuterà a costruire la city.Without esitare un istante, Cadmo si fece avanti, con theaspect di un re e di un leader, ed estendendo la…

  37. Posted from United States United States
  38. burberry pantaloni uomo Says:

    burberry pantaloni uomo

    colloquio. Queste introduzioni legare il colloquio di segmentare Themusic del festival, e sottolineano che le interruzioni di musica barriersthat ci separano da un another.The seconda caratteristica insolita è che ogni partecipante è chiesto tointrodu…

  39. Posted from United States United States
  40. borse valentino outlet Says:

    borse valentino outlet

    e comin di rapido. Può essere Comin mentre noi essere lookin e ha vinto-Derin. Forse la sua in che si snodano nel corso degli questo è mare Bringin con esso lossand relitto, e mal di angoscia, e il cuore triste. Guarda! Guarda! gridò Sud-bruscamente.…

  41. Posted from United States United States
  42. sciarpa cashmere burberry Says:

    sciarpa cashmere burberry

    Anche se itseems evidenti al senso comune che la gente di una tale shouldbe isola, ma una nazione, ma troviamo che sono stati per secoli divisa in tre, e che quelli tre sono stati quasi costantemente coinvolto in dispute andwars uno con l’altro. Nono…

  43. Posted from United States United States
  44. christmas shower curtain amazon Says:

    christmas shower curtain amazon

    NEW! ENGINEERED TO KILL MILDEW (AND KEEP IT GONE): Even the best mildew resistant shower curtains hold off mold for only a few months before wearing off. But this liner, with its proprietary advances, fends off disgusting bacteria, mold, and other mess…

  45. foulard burberry ete Says:

    foulard burberry ete

    strada per comprare un pezzo di rivestimento impermeabile da mettere sopra il Psammead in caso dovrebbe piovere in passato, quando sono arrivati. Perch茅 猫 quasi certa la morte di un Psammead a bagnarsi. Il sole splendeva molto vivaci, e anche a Londra…

  46. Posted from Netherlands Netherlands
  47. logo yves saint laurent Says:

    logo yves saint laurent

    Qualcun altro potrebbe vederlo come shade e un’altra persona come fruit e un terzo potrebbe vederlo come un simbolo dell’estate. Il linguaggio simbolico è soggetto a interpretazione individuale. La comunicazione può essere come il vecchio gioco di te…

Leave a Reply