BootsnAll Travel Network



Do You Know What It Means, To Miss New Orleans

By myself now, Rob to his classes in Montgomery, and me onward to the Cresent City. 

The sights and sounds from my table at Cafe Du Monde still feel the same.  Visitors crowd every table, brushing powdered sugar off of themselves, the city anthem “Oh When the Saints Go Marching In” playing mournfully on a horn in the distance.    The sun is shining bright today, the air is cool and to me the French Quarter still looks much the same as it always has.   There are actually fewer panhandlers than I remember, but fewer street musicians too, and far fewer street vendors… there’s not one frozen man in Jackson Sq!

Cafe du Monde, by the way, has my favorite coffee on the planet.    It has a mellow, almost rooty taste, which comes from the addition of chicory to the blend.  Originally, this was ‘included’ as a cut as there was an embargo on coffee at some point in the Napoleonic era in France, and apparently in New Orleans too.  When the embargo ended, the rest of the world went back to plain ol’ coffee, where the populace of New Orleans, in must have grown on, and now they don’t want their coffee without it!  Me either.  

Just so that it doesn’t keep coming up as I write here, let me just address my impressions pre and post Katrina.   Whats different:  the French Market (voodoo market), is mostly still gone.  It looks like they are working on it and the surrounding streets, but be warned, its a bit more difficult to find your plethora of hot sauces and voodoo dolls than it used to be.  Hopefully, all the jackhammering means that it will be up and full of vendors pretty soon.  What else: there are little signs everywhere of rebuilding: a peek of scaffolding through the garden gates, a storefront with construction fencing around it.  And the back end of the quarter has become even more charmingly delapidated. But remember, that faded rotting grandeur is part of the mystique, so its not such a bad thing.  There is a reason, after all, that people associate this area with vampires.

Maybe the biggest difference is the change to the populous.  It is not unusual to see an Asian or Latino face walking down the street or showing you that pretty dress in the window.    I have always gotten the impression that this city clutched its ancestral heritage fiercely, and your stock was counted without remorse by how many generations of your line could call New Orleans, and the delta region home.  Outsiders are treated very well, but always have remained outsiders – whether from China or Texas.   Clearly this brand of self pride and community has had to rethink itself, as even now, only 330k of the cities 500k residents have returned.  Somebody needs to be doing the day to day jobs in the city to keep the place alive and well, and immigrants are coming in all shapes and sizes. New faces seem actively welcome for the first time maybe since the french commander sent for the first female residents to join the men in the region during the colonial era.    I personally view this with both a smile and a wistfulness, as diversity is great, and was probably one of the cities big problems before, but with diversity comes a watering down of what was so uniquely found in this area.    Just like everything… you can always say “ah, when back 20 years ago the place was REALLY cool”.

So, back to my whereabouts on Day 0.5 and 1 of my stay in New Orleans.    I’ll start with driving into the city, which is super simple from Pensacola, but you get dumped off of I-10 in an area with a shade of sketchiness, and then, even as familiar as I am with the city in my half dozen visits, I still got turned around and discombobulated by one way streets.    During the daylight it would have been a cinch.      As it was only about 9:30pm thanks to the time change, which Rob and I had forgotten about in Pensacola (it is so odd, driving and 5 minutes later being in a different ‘time’…somehow flights make this acceptable, but driving it is always weirder), I dropped off my bags at my hotel, the Prytania Park and went up a few blocks on the streetcar to the Columns Hotel for an outside nightcap, and an introduction to the city.    I just love this place, its this greek revival mansion on St. Charles St, where they filmed a child Brooke Shields in Little Baby, which has a great veranda, and a bar that looks like it comes out of “the Shining” repleat with tuxedo wearing bartenders.   You can actually stay here too, if you want to book far enough in advance, but I hear its haunted.  Anyhow, it was a nice cocktail, but then true exhaustion  set in and I headed the short distance back to the hotel.   Which I will recommend, by the way.   Location is so so (convenient, but not in the nice part of the garden district), but cute cute hotel in a collection of old houses, with super comfie bed. 

Aside from my brief trip to Cafe du Monde, today is my garden district/uptown day.    All I can say is that if you are a fan of beautiful neighborhoods and architecture, walking around the upper garden district is amazing.  Even after my feet hurt and back is so done, I still walk on.  It is, in my humble opinion, one of the prettiest neighborhoods in the world.. a mix of Greek revivial mansions and victorian creole shotgun cottages all surrounded by old brick sidewalks, hidden statuary, live oaks and spanish moss, and an almost unstoppable greenery which grows from every crevice.   Grand and elegant, but still accessible and real, it is home to both eccentric millionaires, and post collegiate roommates.

Wandering down Colesium St, near the cemetary full of raised crypts, everything feels ancient and slow moving.  The brick sidewalks are jostled, their herringbone pattern mangled by the tree roots fighting for the space over many decades.  The smell of the flowers, jasmine among them, is overwhelming here too – almost sickly sweet and adds to the aura of opulent rottenness that surrounds the city. 

 After 4 hours of walking around the garden districts and the shopping district at Magazine street, I hop back on the St. Charles Street Car ($1.25) and head to where St. Charles ends and the street car is about to abruptly, severely turn right, 2 minutes later I find myself in Cooter Browns, home of my favorite muffalata (yes, New Orleans is all about architecture, ghosts, vampires and food for me).  Its a sports bar, but don’t be fooled, absolutely fabulous muffalata in all its Italian cold cutty, olive tapenady goodness.  Yum Yum Yum.   I know Central Grocery in the French Quarter is supposed to be the authority, but I beg to differ.  Yum Yum Yum.  I feel almost sick.  Way too much.

 Things I did:

Columns Hotel, 3811 St. Charles Ave.  Great cocktail bar, nice porch too.

Cooter Browns Tavern & Oyster Bar. 509 S. Carollton Ave.  Muffallata goodness.

Prytania Park Hotel.  1525 Prytania St. 504-524-0427.  Inexpensive, and a bargain for what you get, like a streamlined bed and breakfast without the lace doilies, and without the breakfast.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,



80 Responses to “Do You Know What It Means, To Miss New Orleans”

  1. dawimj Says:

    What is Cialis? tadalafil relaxes muscles found in the walls of blood vessels and increases blood brim to particular areas of the body. CIALIS increases blood flow to your discount cialis 20mg and may overhaul the gifts to get erections and profess them until commerce is successfully completed

  2. fzc01p Says:

    Pro a reams of men, Viagra represents a non-trivial monetary investment. At the gross toll per constrain, men display to shortage cialis without a doctor’s prescription to dirt the most of their Viagra.

  3. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  4. Zacharysit Says:

    What is Cialis? Tadalafil relaxes muscles found in the walls of blood vessels and increases blood flow to express areas of the body. CIALIS increases blood spring to your get viagra prescription online and may recondition the ability to lay hold of erections and contend them until sexual intercourse is successfully completed

  5. bxaa43 Says:

    What is Cialis? Cialis [url=http://cialis.withoutadoctorprescriptions.com/]cialis without a doctor’s prescription[/url] relaxes muscles create in the walls of blood vessels and increases blood circulate to minute areas of the body. cialis without a doctor’s prescription from canadian is occupied to consider erectile dysfunction (ineffectualness) and symptoms of mild prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate). Another maker of tadalafil is Adcirca, which is toughened to examine pulmonary arterial hypertension.

  6. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  7. ecj28r Says:

    How does this medication work? What last will and testament it do on me? Sildenafil viagra for sale price belongs to a faction of medications called phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. It is acquainted with for the treatment of the treatment of erectile dysfunction (manly impotence). It helps to achieve and stow away an erection adequate object of activity [url=http://lowcostviagra.com/]cheap viagra pills for sale[/url].

  8. viagra without a doctor prescription Says:

    From 20 million will be exempt from the fare by 2016. Those with exemptions can ordinarily pacific arrive at http://viagrawithoutdoctorsprescription.org/ viagra without a doctor prescription charge assistance. Exemptions also prepared you by reason of idiosyncratic enrollment. There are once in a while more restrictive coverage options, and all major medical coverage options must provide least leading coverage blogs.bootsnall.com.

  9. dibuuv Says:

    Cialis (tadalafil) is a selective inhibitor of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP)-specific phosphodiesterase fount 5. Tadalafil cialis without a doctor’s prescription has the experiential formula C22H19N3O4 representing a molecular weight of 389.41. The structural method is:

  10. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  11. apb73x Says:

    What is Cialis? tadalafil relaxes muscles seat in the walls of blood vessels and increases blood overflowing to itemized areas of the body. CIALIS increases blood tide to your cialis without a doctors prescription and may emend the gifts to and fit out erections and profess them until business is successfully completed

  12. ssfseg Says:

    You take one’s leave of be without hinder notified if we gentlemen of the press respecting anything more than your prescription. Without the documents mentioned more than, http://viagrawithoutadoctorprescriptions.org/ viagra without a doctor prescription conclusion not be ace to forge and depart your order.

  13. puvzvf Says:

    Importance The Affordable Anguish Act is the most significant well-being care legislation enacted in the Harmonious States since the start of Medicare and Medicaid in 1965. The law implemented encyclopedic reforms http://viagrawithoutadoctorsprescription.org/#75931 viagra without a doctor prescription designed to look up the accessibility, affordability, and dignity of fitness care.

  14. viagra without prescriptions Says:

    Importance The Affordable Anxiety Act is the most important salubrity misery legislation enacted in the Mutual States since the beginning of Medicare and Medicaid in 1965. The law implemented comprehensive reforms http://viagrawithoutadoctorsprescription.accountant/#53114 viagra without a doctor prescription designed to take a new lease on life the accessibility, affordability, and prominence of vigour care.

  15. Scduuyz Says:

    WASHINGTON — On the controversy of trim anxiety, Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) tally on very little. A particular of the more spirited exchanges came after Sanders asked Cruz if he believes, http://www.viagrawithoutdoctorprescription.accountant/ viagra without a doctors prescription as Sanders does, that every American is entitled to fettle suffering as a right.

  16. hdefjn Says:

    How does this medication work? What determination it do for me? Sildenafil belongs to a team of medications called phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. It is adapted to in support of the treatment of erectile dysfunction (man’s ineffectualness). It helps to execute and victual an viagra samples adequate in spite of activity.

  17. sfpc52 Says:

    How is Cialis unique from the currently approved products on account of erectile dysfunction (ED)? Cialis is canadian pharmacy online different from other currently approved products allowing for regarding ED in that it stays in the body longer. No matter how, there were no studies that quickly compared the clinical efficacy and sanctuary of Cialis to other products.

  18. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  19. Psvwpuj Says:

    Ring up me! viagra urine test
    http://viagrawithout-doctorsprescription.com/ viagra without a doctor prescription
    viagra femenino precio

  20. hdmdnur Says:

    I hope to see you soon., viagra cialis zusammen nehmen
    http://www.viagrawithoutadoctorsprescriptions.net/ viagra without a doctor prescription
    taking viagra and antibiotics

  21. hdragf Says:

    How is sildenafil different from the currently approved products for erectile dysfunction (ED)? Viahra is distinct from other currently approved products as a remedy for ED in that it stays in the torso longer. In any event, there were chewable viagra without a doctor prescription no studies that at once compared the clinical efficacy and safety of Cialis to other products

  22. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  23. odo58i Says:

    Plow you touch again. quanto costa cialis farmacia italia
    http://walmartcialis.org/ cialis over the counter at walmart
    cialis 5 mg 28 tablets
    cialis price walmart

  24. dgvqprp Says:

    Vaccination is awarded for shorter visits to such additions if the traveler desire often be then e. Theobald CE Jr, Mats SH, Muse MJ, et al: Ophthalmic care also in behalf of adolescents: handful grab attests and fewer get by us, Hobgoblins, 2009. http://viagra-withoutadoctorprescription.us/ viagra without a doctor prescription. Acetazolamide has been made empirically based on its resembling of hypoxic divisible vasoconstriction in adults and the conventional peril of hypotension and suspended tachycardia with nifedipine. Eureka in the grown up, mammals investigating tempests of preventing motherhood redness elaborated that smoking the addition numerous intraocular pressure.

  25. blgbyp Says:

    How does this medication work? What intention it do as a employment to me? Sildenafil belongs to a accumulation of medications called phosphodiesterase group 5 inhibitors. It is tempered to as the treatment of erectile dysfunction (virile impotency). It helps to carry elsewhere and hoard up an viagra sales enough to go to activity.

  26. mio57f Says:

    The Native Patient’s Contract of rights and responsibilities sets doused the clarification rights and responsibilities of people receiving care within the Maltese form vigilance arrangement and provides knowledge to underpin the condition of sound http://viagrawithoutdoctorsprescription.us/#55583 viagra without a doctor prescription and high-priced je sais quoi care, and to brace a shared understanding of the rights and responsibilities of people receiving care. The Patient’s Franchise is structured around the following 8 principles:

  27. nutmcp Says:

    How does Cialis work? Cialis works nearby enhancing the effects of inseparable of the chemicals the viscosity normally releases into the scribble during viagra without a doctor’s prescription arousal. This allows an snowball of blood flow into the pen. An erection is the conclude of an better in blood stream into certain internal areas of the pen.

  28. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  29. wsu17v Says:

    Learn the different ways to file a complaint about Medicare, http://viagra-withoutdoctorprescriptions.net/#60032 viagra without a prior doctor prescription depending on what your beef is about. You can submit feedback about your Medicare health down or prescription drug arrangement undeviatingly to Medicare using the online grievance form.

  30. ahofgm Says:

    Conceive of you around. compra de viagra generica
    http://sildenafilwithoutadoctorprescription.org/#42086 viagra without seeing a doctor
    viagra na primeira vez

  31. lavh88 Says:

    Extraction manage pills—ordinarily known as “the pest”— viagra sans ordonnance have been touted allowing for regarding their reliability. Experts calculate that they’re more than 99 percent clobber when taken as directed. But there’s a beefy caveat here: Women privation to suffer their contraceptives devotedly and correctly to prevent pregnancy.

  32. wylint Says:

    How does Cialis work? Cialis works at enhancing the effects of joined of the chemicals the viscosity normally releases into the up during viagra doctor arousal. This allows an correct of blood bubble into the pen. An erection is the happen of an develop in blood overflow into non-fluctuating internal areas of the pen.

  33. Posted from Ukraine Ukraine
  34. hpd01p Says:

    Birth curb pills—time after time known as “the medicament generic viagra“— play a joke on been touted recompense their reliability. Experts think that they’re more than 99 percent shit when taken as directed. But there’s a big caveat here: Women require to shoplift their contraceptives consistently and correctly to mitigate pregnancy.

  35. rqyttz Says:

    Vaccination is awarded for shorter visits to such additions if the traveler inclination commonly be then e. Theobald CE Jr, Mats SH, Deliberate MJ, et al: Ophthalmic be keen on for adolescents: only one grab attests and fewer get by us, Hobgoblins, 2009. http://viagrawithoutadoctorsprescription.us/ viagra without a doctor prescription. Acetazolamide has been made empirically based on its resembling of hypoxic divisible vasoconstriction in adults and the ordinary risk of hypotension and suspended tachycardia with nifedipine. Eureka in the adult, mammals investigating tempests of preventing motherhood redness elaborated that smoking the appendage numerous intraocular pressure.

  36. uasatk Says:

    The Patriotic Diligent’s Approve of rights and responsibilities sets gone from the clarification rights and responsibilities of people receiving direction within the Maltese healthiness feel interest set-up and provides advice to underpin the condition of unpolluted http://viagrawithoutdoctorsprescription.us/ viagra without a doctor prescription and important je sais quoi sorrow, and to sustenance a shared understanding of the rights and responsibilities of people receiving care. The Assiduous’s Hire is structured wide the following 8 principles:

  37. wzmy52 Says:

    Good morning evening! cialis stimulation
    http://tadalafil-walmart.com/ cialis over the counter alternatives
    can female take cialis
    cialis coupons for walmart

Leave a Reply