BootsnAll Travel Network



York

Got up late today, so I missed going to the galleries of justice. On the plus side though I did catch a virgin train into York (best first class). I’m in an old mansion inside the city walls (which are very cool) and in the Jorvik Viking room.

Speaking of which, that’s the first thing I did. Its kind of like a disney ride (the peter pan ride comes to mind) where your coach thing glides through the viking settlement at York. It has accurate smells as well, to which I can only say thank god that my cold has my smelling ability pretty muted. You also go by part of the archaeological dig. And all of the characters are molded from actual skull reconstructions, which of course they only tell you at the end. Then there’s the museum part, which has lots of skulls and bones showing various diseases and battle wounds. I had fun.

Then I went to Yorkminster (I was very tempted to go to the York dungeons, since I didn’t get to London’s, but at 10£, I couldn’t afford it.) Anyways, the cathedral is unbelievable; gorgeous and huge. I climbed the tower first (all 275 twisty, claustrophobic steps), which had great views of the gargoyles and York. In the cathedral, there was lots of amazing stained glass and a university choir rehearsing Hayden and Motzart, so I was serenaded as I wandered around.

Next I went through the museum gardens, and otherwise I’ve been window shopping in the twisty little streets and the open air market. I’m thinking about taking a ghost tour this evening (as I skipped the dungeons) and I’ll head out to Scarborough and the North York moors tomorrow.

I’m surrently writing in the Evil Eye, an asian bar/restaurant/hippie hang out. Thus: Break on through – the doors.



Tags:

-1 responses to “York”

  1. Karen says:

    Your dad and I went to Sunday morning servcies in York Minster. I hadn’t realized that it was so old-fashioned, it didn’t have pews. I was used to new Cathedrals like the one in San Francisco. Instead, they had folding chairs.

    Also, the service was very modern (in 1985) compared with our service at St. Paul’s in CT.

    The Minster was recovering from a fire when we were there. It was struck by lightning, which opened the door to the obvious jokes.

    When we left, though…so cool! They were having some sort of Oliver Cromwell/Roundhead vs. the Cavaliers parade. Lots of guys dressed up and carrying appropriate weapons, including HUGE halberds!

    It’s funny that both Brits and Yanks like to dress up and play Civil War….