BootsnAll Travel Network



Switch on, switch off, and EXPLODE

YESSS!!!!!! (“Kiera Knightly; Acting while beautiful”)
Speaking of Jon Stewart, check out the Daily Show and Russian Update (on the front page). God – scary scary SCARY!!  (on the same note: oh good! an eco-friendly bomb)
 Watched Some Like it Hot on Wednesday night – Herdis and I cackled the whole way through. Brilliant film.
 

Work has been rough the last 2 days. The coffee machine broke 3 times (on the first day we had 30 people in). I fixed it the first 2 times, then struggled with it for over an hour and a half and it remained broken. Then the copier started screwing with me. Never have I understood, “PC Load Letter – what the fuck does that mean?!?” quite so well. Ah well – I had a yummy salad for lunch, I FINALLY got AMPHIGOREY AGAIN!!!!! (It has both Figbash Acrobate and the Black Doll’s Imbroglio), my mom got cats (more on that below), and my brother officially got accepted into his teaching masters program (CONGRATS ROSS!!!). I walked home from work in the rain yesterday and there was a perfect sky-spanning double rainbow out. Over the rugby stadium, btw. And today I went to the Java café for one of their delicious bagel sandwiches and an iced mocha. Up and down.
 Did I ever mention that I work at number 47? Pomona rocks.
 

Yes – I realize this post is forever long, but I’ve been saving stuff up for 3 days. I feel bad when it shows NDBT to be one of the most active blogs on bootsnall since it isn’t very travel oriented at the moment.
 Liberals minds work differently from republicans. No, really?
 

I LOVE THIS. Seriously if “the president of Burundi” means anything to you, GO WATCH NOW!!
 What’s going on with elections in CA (And why electronic voting IS A BAD IDEA).
 

More reasons to love SF: “No matter what neighborhood you flirt in, it’s impossible to escape our cool air of dark mystery, as seen in every filmic rendition of The City from “The Maltese Falcon” and “Vertigo,” to “Jade” and “Interview With a Vampire.” There’s a reason films like this are set here, though you don’t have to think like a vampire to get nibbled on after dark. But if you want to, we certainly won’t judge you.” – Violet Blue. Oh my god, I soo have to go check this out when I go back, “Third Thursdays at the California Academy of Sciences are turning into one tasty mixer; on this evening the aquarium is open with a cocktail bar set up in the back. (Hello, penguins!) DJs spin beats and people mingle and linger at the turtle tank and other curious exhibits.” HA!
 More on naming of the kitties. We have a problem. They’re 2 girls and there aren’t a ton of female duos. (Pics here) Recent ideas:
Ross: Mina and Lucy. Dashing and derring-do.
Me: I really like Lucy and Mina as an idea. Women duos: laverne and shirley. Poison ivy and harley quinn. Maureen and Joanne. Lisa and Maggie. Columbia and magenta. Anastasia & Drucilla. Betty and Veronica. Cagney & Lacey Lucy & Ethel, Willow and Tara, lilo and stitch. salt and pepa. Frasquita and Mercedes. There are very few female duos. Most are male-female or male-male. Or you could go inanimate. Or name them 2 women with something in common, but who aren’t a pair. (Morgana and gweneviere. Mimi and Musetta. etc.) Or: Green eggs and ham.
My mom: Or two of the Little Women?  Or Jane and Elizabeth?  Or the two more flighty sisters, Lydia and Kitty?  (good name for a cat) I named Frederica after a character in a book.  How about Georgette and Agatha?
Me: I vote Ngaio and Agatha. I still like Mina and Lucy better. Susan and Jane? Susan and Sally? (I don’t really like sally as a name). Cloak and dagger!! All my friends are voting for that one. Jo and amy. ooh – I like that.
 

I also currently like Grace and Janis (yay SF singers), Toni and Margaret (for authors), or Anna and Cathy (for fictional heroines).
More suggestions welcome…
 My video store is called Alice in Videoland. (It’s the specialty video place in Chch). Anyways, I didn’t get a chance to turn in my DVDs on Thursday (I forgot them at home) and the next day I got an e-mail that read, “You’re late! You’re late!” Hee.
 

San Francisco rocks. Also – thank god for certain non-insured 20-somethings moving there…
I love this, “Whether such a program might be replicated elsewhere is difficult to assess. In addition to its unique political culture, San Francisco, with a population of about 750,000, has the advantages of compact geography, a unified city-county government, an extensive network of public and community clinics and a relatively small number of uninsured adults.” I’m from a city with a “unique political culture”!! YAY!
 I am madly in love with this car. Plus, it’s called a Tesla, which makes me think of David Bowie, so it’s really even sexier.
 

The Power of Voluntary Actions (a response to this article)
  Other green news; worm to grow, pacific grey whales, $10 million for carbon offsets in CA, Towards a win to regulate cars in CA, Oil and trouble, 200 species added to the IUCN red listPray tell: religious leaders discussing climate change, Green mortgages, Newsflash: Our Stolen Future still a problem, Green schools (like Pomona!),  Awww…. RIP Anita Roddick, Dow chemical continues to be assholes, I’m not sure the link to the whale hunt I posted about the other day, Walmarts eco-initiatives. Wait, what? Car labelling for performance, Reasons not to work for the EPA, Geographical features changing in the Atlas due to man, NPS not listening to us, Navy allowed to test sonar, Clinton and envtl justice, EPA fails to clean up superfund sites, The 10 most polluted sites on Earth.
 Biggest news; the Vital Signs 2007-2008 report from Worldwatch. Yup, we’re in trouble.  
There’s also a study on meat eating, but I’ll post that separately. I feel like I should post something inspiring and like the world isn’t going to hell in a handbasket. I looked around for an inspirational quote from Affluenza or New American Dream, but didn’t find anything. Ummm… go watch Eddie Izzard again?

Getting out of Iraq.
 
My brother has taken to writing awesomely brilliant columns on facebook, and I’ve strong-armed him into letting me re-post them on their own blog. They can be found here – I highly recommend them. My brother wrote (what I think) to be a really good column on Sept. 11th – you can read that one here. My favorite writing about Sept. 11th was Neva Chonin’s Live! Rude! Girl! from last year, about how liberals never got a chance to grieve for the tragedy because it was co-opted so quickly by the Bush administration. Anyways – it was a very good, very appropriate column for 5 years on. 6 years on, and now it seems like its mostly the immediate family and friends of those killed who are attending memorial services and such. I’m not sure what I’m trying to say here.
 

On to entertainment:
The pre-strike priorities. So so fascinating.
 Leo to star in Irish tale. They’re hoping the movie will boost tourism to the filming locations. Because, you know, none of Braveheart was filmed in Ireland or anything.
 

Male nudity back in theaters.
 The Office tops DVD list. Well, duh. I’d buy it if I could.
 

Viva Colbert!!
 Fugsha barton and celebrity WTF And I forget if I posted this one: Sienna Miller.
 

Paddington bear to be filmed.
 Another positive review for Jesse James. I love the comparisons to Malick, because that’s what the trailer made me think of. “anyone looking for beauty and transcendence and a meditation on the West starring a terrific ensemble will be more than rewarded.”
 

Trailers: The Bucket (Morgan Freeman, Jack Nicholson, and Sean Hayes. Yes, you read that right). Funny games.  Youth without youth (Francis Ford Coppola’s new one with Tim Roth):.
 From Cleolinda: “You know why you haven’t read any books by Peter Sacks? Because you’re anti-intellectual, lazy, and fascinated by Paris Hilton, that’s why.”
 

Blanchett dishes on ”Elizabeth,” ”Indy” (bolding mine): “It’s phenomenal to be working with Harrison Ford and Spielberg and Karen Allen, all of whom were in one of the most amazing experiences of my childhood, watching that film.” OH SNAP. “And Harrison looks f—ing great.” Heeee.Elizabeth: The Golden Age Site Live; Elizabeth 3? YES PLZ.
 

Toronto: Dave Karger on what’s Oscar-worthy; ”Atonement,” ”Universe” grab day’s buzz.
 Dan Radcliffe on HBP Film: Tragedy of Slughorn Outweighs Comedy. And no, we don’t know who’s playing Slughorn yet.
 

Keira Knightley on life after ”Pirates”: “I think the bond between actor and director is very similar to the chemistry between actors. It’s rare, and when it happens, it’s very exciting. And I think it creates — oh, I sound like a wanker!” This is why I love her, people.An actor’s training: Nutcase, weight loss, Batman.
 

Love in the Time of Cholera Poster, Possibly by Georgia O’Keeffe.
  Spoiler Hancock Set Pic. Huh. That’s actually pretty cool.Roman Polanski Drops Out of Pompeii. Awww, trainwreck averted!Cillian Murphy Joins Dali & I. In which Pacino plays Dali. Oh God.
 

Where are the action hero names of old? Which I include solely for the line, “These were names that were just one step away from being Ballsy McTestes.”
 Norton and Pitt Reteam for State of Play.Kate Bosworth to star in Veronika Decides to Die.

David Cronenberg: Drifting Toward the Mainstream.

Ang Lee shares ‘Lust’ for life, filmmaking; Lee Cuts NC-17 Film So It Can Be Viewed by Chinese Kids. And at–what, five minutes long?–it should be just right for kids’ attention spans.EW reviews: Across the Universe, The Brave One, December Boys, Eastern Promises, Silk.
 

And back from Cleolinda now: I personally share one popwatch writer’s disappointment over the poor review of Across the Universe. I’ll probably still see it for Eddie Izzard singing with Blue meanies.
 NYTimes reviews: The King of California and YES! A good review of Across the Universe. I love Julie Taymor. I’m totally going to see it.  More reviews; Another good one for King of California and a Lust, Caution review.
 

And an update on the Timmy/Shimmy teaser: #1-To the best of my knowledge there is no book deal or anything like it. If there is, I’m not getting any money from it. I think it would make a great book and movie, but I think there is more potential for a movie with Gift Clement.#2 It’s not a simple answer. When I reveal it will be a long post explaining everything.

#3 Shimmy is NOT
Hattie McDaniel
Edith Evans
Josephine Hull

#4 Timmy was a very good singer. He was not A list. William Haines was a mentor to him. Katharine Hepburn adored Timmy.

So as I waded my way through another 200 comments, I noticed another theme popping up which was whether the award was a BAFTA. It wasn’t. So you can remove from your consideration that Cornell woman. Second, remember the A-lister was an A lister at that time.
NOT Sandy Dennis
NOT Shirley Booth

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Timmy on any blog. I’m not absolutely, positively, 100% sure because there are so many comments on so many different blogs and sites but to the best of my knowledge no one has mentioned Timmy.

Shimmy is NOT
Mercedes McCambridge
Judy Holiday

Timmy is NOT
Danny Kaye

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/search/label/Timmy
  And… Sunday is of course the Emmys (meaning Monday at noon here. Hmmm…). Nominee list here.
 Greatest Emmy moments (most are pretty old; and I LOVE that Candice Bergen is holding her trophy in one hand and her shoes in the other). One is, of course, Conan’s brilliant opening last year. Here and here

I’m rooting for:
Drama – House
Actor – drama: Hugh Laurie (Dennis Leary in 2nd)
Actress – drama: Minnie Driver
Supp. Actor – drama: Michael Emerson (Terry O’Quinn in 2nd)
Supp. Actress – drama: Sandra Oh
 

Comedy: The Office
Actor – comedy: Steve Carell
Actress – comedy: Mary Louise Parker (Tina Fey in 2nd)
Supp. Actor – comedy: Neil Patrick Harris (Rainn Wilson in 2nd)
Supp Actress – comedy: Jenna Fischer (Jaime Pressly in 2nd)
 Variety: The Daily Show or Colbert Report (Conan in 2nd)
Actor in a Miniseries: Matthew Perry (he deserves something after studio 60)
Actress in a Miniseries: Mary-Louise Parker (Oh my god – is that the Robber Bride, like the Margaret Atwood novel? I need to see it!)
Supp actor in a MS: Edward Asner
Supp actress in a MS: Anna Paquin
 

Re-iterating the total snubs: Elizabeth Mitchell, Eddie Izzard, John Krasinski, Lost, Christopher Meloni, Michael C. Hall, Zooey Deschanel for guest actress, Jane Krakowski, Justin Kirk, “Lets go to the mall” for best song (from HIMYM).
Musica: Ziggy Stardust – AFI (I love, love, love this cover), bouncing off clouds – Tori Amos, she builds quick machines – velvet revolver, first time – lifehouse, playgirl – ladytron, alfie – lily allen, the angry mob – Kaiser chiefs, Billie Jean – Chris Cornell, Oh my god – Mark Ronson ft. Lily Allen (this is a pretty good cover, too…), Where would you like them left – blaqk audio. I’m also listening to Dolores O’Riordan’s solo project. God I love her voice. The album itself is this bizarre… I dunno. Older cranberries? That seems really obvious, but parts of it are really evocative of No Need to Argue with a different production team.



Tags:

Comments are closed.