BootsnAll Travel Network



Random tidbits

One of the nice things about our premises being right on the square is that when the weather is nice, we get to see the buskers out at lunchtime. 2 days ago there was a guy with a whip and, better still, a guy in full colonial regalia watching from the sidelines.

My Chch photos are up on webshots here.

My boss had this email message up on Monday; “I am in Auckland from mid afternoon Monday 27th. You can contact me on my mobile or please contact our Training Coordinator Jessica Dillon in my absence.” Hee.

I made an excel list of all the songs/ artists/ albums I’ve e-mailed myself while I’ve been traveling to download when I get my laptop back. It’s 384. Guess that’ll take a while. The blaqk audio stuff comes first (thank god my itunes remembers I’m american!)

The Aug 29th zits is now on my computer. I may not play guitar, but otherwise it sounds about right.

Those of you who are my friends on facebook will notice I added 2 features. I was checking out Piper’s profile – WHO JUST GOT ENGAGED!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! (Holy crap – one of my best friends from high school is engaged. Wow.) Anyways – I got the washington post political compass. Shockingly, I turned out liberal. More travel-related, I got a really good map of places I’ve visited, lived, and want to go. Where to go next? East Africa, South east Asia, and South America. Who can say another couple of years’ travel?

Spammity-spam (all from Cleolinda this round, with her comments):

Crushed glass to be spread on beaches.
Gay Unions Sanctioned in Medieval Europe. That… that is not a headline I expected to read. Not the “gay” part, the “medieval” part. “BREAKING NEWS: BLACK DEATH KILLED 1/3 OF EUROPE.”

Jack Davenport, Christopher Eccleston among the famous names reading children’s stories. Downloads!

Fall movie guide: Oscar bait. [Ed: I love the movie calendar. You go from summer blockbusters that start in May into the good dramas of the fall, then you get the awards season, and then a month or two of regular fare or arthouse films, and then you’re back to summer! Not to mention the year round festivals and whatnot.]
A different Sweeney Todd poster: a bit more atmospheric and a little less crotchly; Sweeney Todd Opening Wide Dec. 21 (YAY); Sweeney Todd Too Gory? (*facepalm*).[Ed: KEEP IT GOREY TIM!! Whoops – wrong spelling there. Hee. What really worked about the broadway revival was how they upped the creepiness factor.]

The ‘3:10 to Yuma’ Will Arrive a Week Early. [Ed: heh.]

Downey Joins The Soloist.
Affleck’s Not That Into You. [Ed: Is there any one in Hollywood not in this?]

Pathologist: Doctor killed Beethoven.

Poisonous ‘Golden Frog’ Discovered.

The Elements of Style: The Movie. [Ed: hey! mom! a movie for you. I actually had a teacher in highschool give me the elements of style because he said it was apparent I was the only one in the class who hadn’t been taught grammar in elementary school. It was true. And yet I got good grades all through English at SAS.]

List of Deleted Scenes for “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” DVD.

Wortmann Directing Potente in Pope Joan.

And something I saw in the chch newspaper today. Italian abortion case; doctor aborts the wrong twin. Here’s what’s so distressing about this; the woman was fine with aborting the twin with down syndrome but not the healthy baby (that one is apparently murder, and yadda yadda catholic). How totally hypocritical. I think the claims of eugenics being laid against the vatican are justified (gattacca, anyone?). Either abortion is okay or it isn’t (don’t choose the latter as policy, vatican!). Or it’s ok in cases of rape/ danger to the mother if you want to be conservative. I totally sympathize with aborting a child with defects, lord knows I would, but the policy should not be – it’s only ok to abort a child that isn’t perfectly healthy. That’s like – it’s ok to abort a girl if you’re Chinese (does China have an abortion policy?). Of course, the simplest policy would just be; abortion is ok. We have 6.7 billion people in the world. We really don’t need any more.

musica; read my mind – the killers, silver and cold – AFI, come on eileen – save ferris, hey pretty – poe, city of angels – distillers, god is a DJ – pink



Tags:

0 responses to “Random tidbits”

  1. admin says:

    OKAY – the IGN links aren’t working. But here’s a funny update about the Not that into you cast:

    I like “Just when you think it can’t possibly have room for another star, the rapidly expanding Borg collective that is the cast of He’s Just Not That Into You…”

    And awesome. That page just went down, too. I’ll post the link when I can get it working.

  2. Karen says:

    I really like your Christchurch pix! What an interesting mix of old and new architechture! The brick and stone buildings look just like Boston’s Back Bay. You could be driving down Beacon Street….

    I particularly like the modern art building. I say, if you’re going to have modern art, why not start with the building itself?

    Do you like your haircut? I always love your hair short. It looks as if the ends are different lengths. Cute!

    What beautiful surroundings, too! How nice to look out one’s window at work and see mountains. Lucky you!