BootsnAll Travel Network



laaaziness

So – yesterday I went out and ate lunch at nando’s, which is this cross between a family restaurant (I’m thinking TGIFs (but I’ve only ever been to one of those) or Denny’s) and fast food. Mostly they serve spicy chicken stuff, but the important thing is that you can get grilled corn instead of chips as a side, which makes me happy. Except when I order a salad from their meal menu, ask for corn and a drink, and it turns out the salad ‘meal’ doesn’t come with a side or drink. Then WHY is it on the meal menu, huh?

After that I tracked down all the pawn shops in the city to no avail. I feel like I’ve done everything in my power now, and I’ll just hopefully hear something from the police. One of the pawn shop guys reassured me that everything they get in goes into a database cross-checked by police. So – fingers crossed.

On the upside, Patrick has been sending some Madagascar photos and videos, so I’ll see what I can do about posting some of those in the next few days.

Read the next Kathy Reichs, and started on The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen (recommended by cleolinda). It’s actually non-fiction about the architect who designed the world’s fair in Chicago and Dr. H. H. Holmes (how much do you think Eli Roth based Hostel on the original? hmmm?). It’s very good so far, and clearly written for a world in which everyone and their mother has read the Alienist (Delmonico’s gets name dropped about 20 pages in) (hey! I’ve eated there! Thanks mom!) (Hey mom – have you read the Alienist yet? I left you a copy…)

It’s really a personal space issue: http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/06/19/o-hai-googlz/

Since we were discussing the Dark is Rising the other day, the new poster is out: http://www.mtvmoviesblog.com/2007/06/19/poster-exclusive-the-dark-is-rising/ Like I said, I’ve only read the first book in the series, but… the mood for the poster seems off. Although obviously evoking lord of the rings. And is that Ian McShane up in the corner? (Speaking of which, when are the Deadwood movies coming out?)

From cleolinda: Bernal and Luna to ‘Hook Up’ for Cuarón Again. I had no idea that they had formed a studio. Go Latino filmmakers (especially if they keep Bernal and Luna working in LOTS AND LOTS of their movies).

And in other movie news, with stardust, coraline (directed by he who did Nightmare before Xmas), and beowulf all coming out (at least soonish) Neil Gaiman is looking to make Death: the High Cost of Living, and directing it himself. I’m confused. Is this one of the sandman spinoff books? And if so, where can I find it? And furthermore, who on earth are you going to cast as Death? I think we can safely assume that will cause more fan backlash than Liv Tyler in Lord of the Rings, no matter who gets picked.

Ooh! Tim Burton is getting a lifetime acheivement award at the Venice Film Fest. And with that, I am going back to my book.



Tags:

-1 responses to “laaaziness”

  1. Karen says:

    Hi, honey! Glad to hear you’re keeping yourself amused.

    Do you know why, on your site, all your previous blogs are now in italics? The instructions for how to leave a reply and all that stuff are in italics, too, so I’m guessing that it’s a site issue, not a your-blog issue. The only reason I bring it up is that it makes it hard to read your wonderful entries…

  2. admin says:

    Fixed it! Occasionally when I add italics or bold, the blog decides not to end it. I’ll just keep capitalizing things instead. As for why the instructions woul dbe in italics – no clue. (aha! a clue!)

    (the other clue quote I like is from kiss kiss bang bang – have you seen that? You like Robert Downey Jr., right? He’s very good in it. And it’s very funny)

  3. lulu says:

    Hi – I hit your blog by googling something else. That is Ian McShane in the Dark is Rising poster. He plays “Merriman.” Did you know he’s also going to be in Coraline?

  4. Karen says:

    I love Robert Downey Jr.! I think he’s a terrific actor. It’s a shame that he’s so self-destructive. ‘Cause he’s cute, too! I loved him in Chaplin, and he was the only thing that made Ally McBeal tolerable. Otherwise, it was just anorectic neurotic losers….He even made a bit of fluff with Marissa (?) Tomei watchable. Of course, so did Kevin Kline (make fluff watchable) in that Paris movie in which Meg Ryan has the worst haircut. EVER.

    But to get back to your original comment, no, I’ve never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang…

  5. admin says:

    That’s exciting. I really like Ian McShane. I have to go find a copy of Coraline now. I’m in the middle of American Gods, which is fantastic. And thanks for telling me how you found my blog! I always wonder when non-family and friends stumble onto it. 🙂

    As for Robert Downey Jr., now that studios are insuring him again (which took a few years), I think his career is back on track. Not only was he fabulous in Kiss kiss bang bang (which I really do recommend – very laugh out loud), he was equally good in Zodiac, A Scanner Darkly, and Good Night and Good Luck. And I heard quite good things about his performance in A Guide to Reorganizing your Saints, which I have not seen. I’ll be interested in seeing how Iron Man does, because he is certainly the oldest actor taking on the comics genre (well – aside from Ian McKellen. The oldest taking on the lead, I should say), although lord knows he’s ripped enough for it.