BootsnAll Travel Network



In such a night did pretty Jessica, like a little shrew, slander her love and he forgave it her

Hee hee! Daily show archive! (Entire Daily Show archive goes online.)

Jim and Dwight from the product recall episode.

Yesterday there was a protest in the square over the police ‘terrorist camp’ raids. Today there’s Irish step dancing and a scotsman juggling swords. And the weather outside is GORGEOUS. Sunny and warm and breezy.
The front page news in Christchurch? Hugh Jackman will be filming some of Wolverine on the South Island this summer. Really, I think the editors would come up with just about any excuse to put his picture above the fold. Must improve circulation. 
Well, if the All Blacks couldn’t win, at least the Springboks did. Now, where can I find some Amarula…
In between Doctor Who episodes (yay! conclusion of the new one tonight!) I watched the Merchant of Venice yesterday. I loved seeing the on-location scenes, although Casanova (the Heath Ledger one) does a better job of showcasing the city (travel wise). As for the production, it was pretty good. I don’t think Al Pacino’s Shylock was quite as much as I had hoped for (after Shylock’s big monologue, I sort of found myself thinking – I’d have done that differently, just because I thought it didn’t lead him into the next segment correctly). Joseph Fiennes was mostly good, although why he whispers his whole speech about the caskets is beyond me. Lynn Collins was very good. Overall I enjoyed it – and why not? It has my name in it! (Although I’ve read the play before – I’d never seen a full production of it).
“Sit, Jessica. Look how the floor of heaven
Is thick inlaid with patines of bright gold:
There’s not the smallest orb which thou behold’st
But in his motion like an angel sings,
Still quiring to the young-eyed cherubins;
Such harmony is in immortal souls;
But whilst this muddy vesture of decay
Doth grossly close it in, we cannot hear it.”
Also – I can see why the play is called anti-Semitic at times (forcing Shylock to convert is fairly nasty of them) but really I think it’s more a condemnation of Shylock as a character than as a Jew. Yes, Antonio is anti-Semitic (which historically makes sense), and he nearly loses his life for it. However, things wouldn’t go nearly as badly for Shylock in the end if he had been prepared to show any mercy towards Antonio.
The Wilhelm scream (Seasonally appropriate film trivia!)
Linkspam via Cleolinda;
Rowling Says Dumbledore Is Gay. ” ‘Dumbledore is gay, actually,’ replied Rowling as the audience errupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort’s predecessor who appears in the seventh book. After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonshed fans, Rowling added, ‘I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy.’ ” I can has Potterdämmerung now? Also, she says that Neville married Hannah Abbott. Is she ever going to pick a version of who married who and stick with it? [Ed: Well, duh. Didn’t everyone think he was?]
musica; ONly happy when it rains (live)- Garbage, Roisin Murphy – “Overpowered”


Tags:

Comments are closed.