BootsnAll Travel Network



Forget it, Jake. In an ethnic enclave like Chinatown, things can be hard to figure out.

There really isn’t a lot of news. Race day was yesterday – there were lots of silly hats on display. And then it rained in the evening. Mwahahaha…. We have 2 people crashing on our couch. I wasn’t told about this until the day before. And I don’t know how long they’re going to stay with us… Ah well. They’re nice enough. The guy is from Austria, and I haven’t really spoken to the girl yet.

I did terribly on the box office challenge this week; 249th /1793 for the weekend, which means I’ve fallen to 57th of 1793 for the fall thus far. (Ok – still top 3.2%, but…. wah!)

I’ve started writing up some movie column ideas. Of course, I came up with 3 really good topics the other day, and promptly deleted 2 of them accidentally this morning. Crap. Anyways, I think I am going to work on them this weekend (I’m undecided about attending the show…). I also think I’ll be starting up a new blog. I still feel guilty about the lack of travel content that goes on here while I’m settled, and I’d like to focus on creating a fresh place. Anyways, I’ll let you know how it goes. I am also working on getting up the photos from the weekend. Probably tomorrow for those.

What’s on in the world;

   WGA stuff;

A world without writers, Ken Levine Simpsons parody, Media solidarityThe big 10 conglomeratesHeartbreaking voices of uncertaintyStop the writer’s strike, Support the writer… ICONS! (I like “without the writers, it’ll never be lupus”) The magic cake theory of residuals, Michael Bluth supports the writers,  John August on why writers get residualsA mix-tape for the writersLate Show writers on strike.

And over on craigslist; “Ladies! Meet Available Striking Writers! We’re there all this week from 6am-3pm. Come on by! Grab a sign and walk back and forth across the street with us. Stay for 5 minutes or for as long as you like. If you see someone interesting, just strike (hah hah) up a conversation. We need new people to talk to. But if you don’t click with anyone, you can just duck out. No pressure.Remember, we’ll be working again at some point.” Hahahaha….

Other stuff;

Should the dems censure Feinstein?

The Air I Breathe is getting a release

Timothy Olyphant to star in the high life

Oh my. My blog is on technorati. Is every blog on there? I guess so. Awww… I have a little baby authority of 14. Ha! Ross’ columns is on there, too

Ok – first up, this is an even stevphen I hadn’t seen before and secondly, how has Jon Stewart manage to age at twice the rate of normal people? That video was from 6 years ago and I swear he is at least a dozen years older now.

Hmm…. I’m reminded of grad school (I didn’t take my laptop to class usually – it was too damn heavy – but there were occasional conflicts over students checking e-mail in between note taking).

Free rice: I got 19/23 and up to vocab level 38. I missed debenture, nub, hie, and filigree. I thought nub meant little bit. Like the nub of a pencil. Apparently it means gist.

Oscar buzz!

Movie finances

“A bleak, even nihilistic worldview” pervades award season films

Showbiz tastes. Shocking, I’m a blue.

Philip Roth, for instance, is one of the greatest contemporary American writers, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a complete asshole.”

Italian Opera dying

Getting around to the movies you’ve always meant to see. You know, like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. That’s actually a huge chunk of my netflix queue. Either it’s last year’s movies I didn’t get a chance to see in theatres, or older things I’ve been meaning to see forever. For example, at the top under old movies, we’ve got the Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Glengarry Glen Ross, Boondock Saints, French Connection, Taxi Driver, A Room with a View, Sophie’s Choice, Dangerous Liaisons, a Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, Lawrence of Arabia, Barton Fink, Bullitt. The recent stuff; the Squid and the Whale, the Proposition, a Guide to Recognizing your Saints, Jesus is Magic, the Science of Sleep, Hollywoodland, the Fountain, Wordplay, Letters from Iwo Jima, Hot Fuzz, Apocalypto, Old Joy. Ok – I’ll stop now. Yeah – there are a bunch of things I need to see…

Cleolinda linkspam; Fox changes 2008 schedule, viewers mourn. [Ed; Important bit; “Why’s FOX so quick to announce a schedule that banks on a strike continuing? Well, because they think their shareholders will somehow be reassured by their statement of “We did a really bad job this season, so we’d be better off just calling it a wash. We’ll magically do better next season, now that all our best writers are really, really pissed off at us.””]

Hiatuses for serialized shows a ‘Lost’ cause
 

What are the stars saying about the strike?
 

Should the Screenwriters Blame the Stars?

TV blogs going dark tomorrow in solidarity.
 

Perez Hilton is a douche. Some more. Again.

Chaucer the Holy-Wood Scabbe.
 

Australian scientists decode whale sounds.
 

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald still an intriguing mystery.

Is Dilbert’s Scott Adams Is The Worst Boss In the World?
 

First look at Zachary Quinto as Spock
 

If there is a more fabulous mugshot, I do not know of it.
 

lolcats: Fluffy… reporting live; Can I Has Nother Red Bull; LAZORS CHARGED; is it can be u forgivez u too nao pls?; mai fanteseez r elaborate and filthy.
 

Helen McCrory is now Narcissa Malfoy? David Thewlis – ‘I can’t handle the fake hugs and air kisses.’
 

Sweeney Todd: New pictures. The MySpace.
 

Dita Von Teese to play Mata Hari in new movie.
 

The way we were: Movie themes no longer top charts.
 

Plush daemons!
 

MTV Exclusive Clip: ‘Beowulf.’



Tags:

Comments are closed.