BootsnAll Travel Network



Can you, for a moment, imagine how dispiriting it is to teach five centuries of masculine ineptitude?

Jon Stewart is finally back!! On Scooter Libby and Fox news, 1st clip: http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/index.jhtml

Cirque DuSoleil has a new show: Kooza. It’ll be in SF in the winter. Wait – I’ll be in SF in the winter (maybe)!! Holy crap! Hmmm…. I love Cirque. I still have the sun balloon I got when I saw them when I was about 5? 6? My grandparents took me.

I’m off to the post office to check on my camera again. It supposedly in Oz, though I don’t know if it’s in Cairns. Fair tomorrow (the equestrian contest is on). And I have to go book my Cairns-area tours.

I did end up going to History Boys last night, which was very good. The ending was theatrical (how could it have been otherwise?) and they changed Posner’s ending because the story was kept linear, as opposed to the play which had flash-forwards strewn through. The script wasn’t changed much, so it was still sparkling and hysterical, and the acting was all quite good. And it was very interesting how some scenes weren’t really changed from the stage production, but given the filming (close-ups, focusing on one character’s reaction as opposed to a group shot), it gave the audience a different feel to the scene.

Hey! Guess what? Dominic Cooper (Deakin) is going to be in Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, as well as a new Sense and Sensibility miniseries (as Willoughby), The Escapist, and Mamma Mia (they’re making a movie?) and Samuel Barnett (Posner – he’s the one who was up for a bunch of awards) is playing John Quincy Adams in a new miniseries on John Adams coming out next year (mom).

(Check out the cast for Brief Interviews; Christopher Meloni, Timothy Hutton, Josh Charles (O Captain, my captain!), Will Forte, Michael Cerveris (I saw him as Sweeny Todd), Bobby Cannavale (Will’s boyfriend from Will and Grace), Ben Shenkman (Angels in America), (and a girl named Marin Ireland – I kid you not). Good job, Mr. Krasinski!)
2 days till Emmy nom.s!

AAAAAHHHH!!! Check THIS out; “In the wake of the new “Absolute Garbage” collection, the members of Garbage are eyeballing mid-2008 to begin making their fifth album.” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! It looks like it might be more mellow than rock, but hey – that’s a long ways away. It could change. And there’s still Ms. Manson’s album, and the albums Butch produced to look forward to.

There is this fabulous part of a review over at AICN (he ends up really liking the movie and loves the acting, although not the songs, but he says straight up that he dislikes musicals): ” Now I knew this was a musical going in, but this wasn’t a musical. This was a MUSICAL. The movie opens up with the main character waking up and singing a song. About how great it is. To wake up. In Baltimore. Oh for fucks sake, I cried out, what have I done? The morbid curiosity of Travolta in drag had drug me headlong into the deepest, darkest, gayest level of hell.”

Harry Potter stuff: from EW: HP and the Pop culture references (including a friends one I don’t remember)
Cleolinda agrees with me about Xmas (although I would personally avoid the links in case of spoilers. And the comments section ANYWHERE): “GOD! It’s like being seven years old and waiting for Christmas over here. And you know, there’s a point where it’s not even about Harry Potter anymore. It’s exciting knowing that millions of us are all waiting for the book to come out. It’s exciting–and a little wrenching–to know that this is going to cap off a seven-book, ten-year series; that we’re going to find out everything we’ve been wondering about, all the loose ends; that terrible things might happen to characters we care about; that there won’t be more after this. And having OOTP come out in theaters just the week before multiplies the excitement by a factor of ten–it’s exciting because it’s exciting, if that makes any sense; it’s getting excited for its own sake, a communal experience, a fannish high. I think the communal factor cannot be underestimated here; the last Lemony Snicket book had me champing at the bit, but it was relatively quiet in a fannish way, probably because fewer people read that series. The high dissipated pretty quickly. Deathly Hallows, you know people will be discussing this for months, and–bonus!–bitching at each other for years. For those of you who don’t follow Fandom Wank, there are some violent, vicious differences of opinion over whether Harry should die, whether Snape is good or evil, whether Draco is a romantic antihero or a weaselly little bully, and, most importantly, who Harry ends up with. Some guy named Voldemort may be involved, but I hear that’s just a rumor left over from the fake fanfic still circulating.
Also: fun facts: the actor who plays Filch is Kate Beckinsale’s godfather; one of the Phelps twins was a runner on The Da Vinci Code; both Peter O’Toole and Ian McKellen turned the Dumbledore recast down (from Sunday Mercury).”

musica: Capital G – NIN, January girl – Tori,  Give it away – RHCP, Tell me where it hurts – Garbage



Tags:

3 responses to “Can you, for a moment, imagine how dispiriting it is to teach five centuries of masculine ineptitude?”

  1. Ross says:

    I am totally planning on teaching twenty-two centuries of masculine ineptitude…

  2. admin says:

    Oh good for you. It’s so nice to have goals…

  3. Karen says:

    Amusing, but what is that quote from?

  4. admin says:

    The History Boys. Frances De La Tour.