BootsnAll Travel Network



Back in Dublin

I forgot to mention – the South has a lot of Roadside shrines – kind of like the ones in Miyazaki films, but with virgin mary statues. I walked out to the Wexford Wildfowl reserve ummm – yesterday? I have such a hard time keeping track of the days. I thought I had a doctors appointment on Friday the 16th… (the doctors appt is tomorrow – I called). Anyways, the birds were fun – but you couldn’t get very close to where most of the geese were (I need to reiterate how awesome my binoculars are) Still, I wish I had a spotting scope like some of the serious birders there. Got back to Dublin in the evening, and crashed early. Today I went to the library and national archives (bottom line – I don’t know enough to really trace my family), kilmainham gaol (which had an amazing tour, and showed where all of the executed leaders of the 1916 rebellion stayed), the museum of modern art – mostly closed for renovations, temple bar (I got totally lost – found the dublin film institute, and found that rescue dawn in the Dublin film festival had already sold out *SNIFF*) , the chester beatty library in the dublin castle. I thought it would be boring, but it was actually really amazing – it had some of the earliest printed bits of some of the gospels on papyrus (from 150-200 ad) and had a lot of early illustrated qu’arans (sp?) and Asian artifacts from Jainism, hinduism, etc.. Have to plan the rest of the week out tonight.

The simpsons (I’m in chartbusters)



Tags:

0 responses to “Back in Dublin”

  1. Karen says:

    Jainism? Is that an offshoot of Bronte-ism? (OK, sorry…I still have Rochester on my mind…) 😉