BootsnAll Travel Network



Am I the star beneath the stairs?

Sooo… I just don’t even want to post. It’s all too depressing. I’ve had a really shit 24 hours.

Work was just awful on Friday – and its far too long and complicated to go into. I got some depressing family news. I had worked out my budget earlier in the week and saw I was in trouble, and then I heard from the laptop repair place that they were not able to restore power to my laptop, and fixing it would probably mean replacing the system board. At which point, it might be more cost effective to get a new laptop. But… I can’t afford either really. Basically, I’m in tough straits. I don’t know. I’m going to wait to hear back from the laptop guy again on Monday and try to figure out what to do.

Oh, and then I got a call from the electronics store to say that my ipod had arrived. Yeah, a week too late. Awesome. Maybe the laptop guy can give me a battery that’ll last long enough to back up my hard drive onto the ipod?  Or I could repair it and save a couple hundred, even if I’ll still have to buy a new one in a year or so. Ech. I just don’t know. I’m going to go home and sleep a lot.

In other news, read the life, the universe and everything and watched quiz show. I might be going to Akaroa tomorrow. I need to go to the gym a bunch next week, since I only made it once this week what with everything going on. I need to go find a good coffee milkshake.On a happier note;

This is a great post from the fug girls. Mostly how they point out that someone decided to take a classically trained singer and waaaay overproduce her voice.  I mean compare that song to this. I mean, say what you will of the song, but her voice is clearly better here.

Jorja Fox is leaving CSI. Sadness, but the important bit of the article is the following, “Fox is leaving at a time when CSI couldn’t be stronger. Last night’s season premiere bested Grey’s Anatomy by 21 percent in the overnight ratings.” Hell yeah it did. Stupid upstart surgical soap.

Yay! The dems might stand a chance in ’08! An e-mail I got from courage campaign, “Dear Jessica, The dirty trick campaign to steal the White House is dead. They stared in the face of tens of thousands of activists from around the country and turned and ran… for now.

The dirty tricksters were driven into disarray and defeat by you. They lost their funders. They started in-fighting. People resigned their positions, all because of the pressure you placed on them. The Los Angeles Times just broke the news that they are officially “pulling the plug” on their attempt to steal the presidential election. According to the Times, the dirty tricksters no longer have the capacity to put an initiative on the ballot to take 20 of California’s electoral votes.

Frankly, it is hard to trust that. Knowing the right-wing like we do, it is crucial that we stay tuned and plugged in. This dirty trick could roar back to life, or they could find a new way to steal the White House. There is always a dirty trick up their sleeves.

That said, this is a huge victory that deserves to be celebrated. The grassroots and the netroots came together, in a show of strength and right-wing backed down. So spend the weekend and do that, because come Monday, it is time to get to work. It’s time to stop playing defense and start playing offense. There is so much that we can accomplish together. I can’t wait to get started.  Sincerely, Rick Jacobs

P.S. Did you see the great Los Angeles Times article on Courage Campaign’s video of Bradley Whitford?  YouTube and viral communication were crucial in defeating this dirty trick.”

Good Colbert on here. Geneva convention is a good safe word.

I’m feeling somewhat calmer than I did yesterday, in large part to playing Absolute Garbage and decemberundergound over and over and over at very high volumes (I NEED MY MUSIC). And the following; this time imperfect and endlessly, she said.



Tags:

2 responses to “Am I the star beneath the stairs?”

  1. Karen says:

    Keep you chin up, sweetie! I liked that Emily Rossum song. What a pity they messed it up so badly. Watching the Phantom link made me think that maybe I SHOULD see that movie….

    naaahhhh…

  2. Karen says:

    That was supposed to be, “your” chin….

  3. admin says:

    Well – the problem with phantom. Let me rephrase that – there were many problems with phantom. Emmy Rossum has a lovely voice and did the singing really well, but she was curiously inert anytime she was singing (pretty often). Minnie Driver as Carlotta was such a mistake. Gerard Butler as the phatom was a good choice for looks and acting, but not for singing.

    The biggest overall problem (and one that RENT failed to learn from the next year) was that they took a score that is well-known and beloved by thousands upon thousands of fans, and decided to change it. So they ended up with this weird rythmic dialogue. Both have enough singing to be classified as operettas, and I don’t know if they thought they might reach a broader audience by cutting them down to musicals or what. It was a stupid decision though. If they catered to the fans, they would have done much, much better financially. (I mean, lets be honest – RENTheads see the much more expensive theater show multiple times; if the movie had been better, they would have seen it theaters a ton, too). DItto for phantom, really.

    The one nice thing about the phatom movie were the production values. Its all lovely and lush. OH – and another awful thing – no one has a french accent… except Miranda Richardson. Oh – and they changed the phantom’s backstory.

    Yeah… the movie had issues.