BootsnAll Travel Network



Part 1 – Valentine’s Day on the Mekong

As you now have read we’ve arrived in the beautiful Lao city of Luang Prabang. From our brief time here it is a fabulous city with tons of cultural heritage and a well-rounded feel of the Lao slow life. Internet access is a bit dodgy so we will try to keep you informed and upload some pics soon. We thought we’d share some of the experiences we had on our trip overland from Chiang Mai, Thailand to Luang Prabang, Laos. We are terming it the “Blind Faith Tour ’06“!!! (something tells us it won’t be the last)

After many a day in the friendly confines of CM Blue House (thanks Jimmy…very nice place) we dragged our weary, recovering bodies onto a minibus for a five-hour “Air-Con” ride to the Thai-Lao border town of Chiang Khong. This is definitely the way to go for this trip. Public bus is a bit sketchy (as we witnessed) since many back roads are used and not all the roads connect leading to many bus changes. Not saying it can’t be done it’s just for a few extra Baht the nine-person mini-bus was a welcomed option. We are beginning to trust and use travel agents more since their options are usually oft-used by other travellers (strength in numbers) and not much more expensive than piecing everything together yourself. This might not be the case in all areas of the world but is true to fact in Southeast Asia.

Our trip thru the travel agent included mini-bus to Chiang Khong, Visa service for Laos, overnight guesthouse in C.K.(dinner and breakfast included), a slowboat service (including box lunch) down the Mekong. All for $35 each. Sounds great doesn’t it??? It was nice (We can’t complain) but as we came to find the definitions of nice sounding amenties and relaxing travel mean different things to the Lao people. We are learning our opinion of fun and comfortable travel are changing…potentially for the better since we still have 7 months left!! Chiang Khong is a tiny, tiny place. It has one major street and a few competing restaurants, both playing the same cable movies on the same TVs, right next to each other (Can you say Competitive Advantage Class?) The view of the Mekong is great!! Chiang Khong has built a riverwalk below the guesthouses and restaurants which is a nice touch. We had fun strolling it in the moonlight while viewing Laos right across the way and Jeff caught a great glimpse of the two cities awakening as he watched the sunrise.

The border crossing process was a bit of a blur and provides the framework for the appropriately named Blind Faith Tour!! Ushered onto a long-tail boat at 8AM, told our passports were waiting across the river, handed our passports and pointed to Customs for a stamp and a grunt from the officer. Hurried up the hill to a guy at a desk in the middle of the street. He arranged our “lodging” for the night at the midpoint city of Pakbeng. Nothing like a little trust!!! Motioned up the hill to a pickup awaiting our arrival that drove us (the opposite way we thought we were to go) to an obscure boat launch toward the north of town. Asked for our passports again and then pushed into a waiting area. It’s quite nice to feel like cattle. We were told our boat left at 10AM then they said 11AM then we were handed our passports and told to board again at 10AM. Hilarious!!!

Ok, now for The Boat….picture walking a thin bamboo plank onto what looks to the uninitiated as a refugee boat. As you walk through wondering where to put down your pack you see the “benches” and I use that term loosely….I realize it’s tough to use the term benches loosely but wait!! After a bit of terse consultation between spouses we decide the “benches” aren’t the best option so we head for the back thinking it might be like that cool “back-back” seat in all the old station wagons. Well maybe not!! Tarps laid across stenchy, loose floorboards….here’s where you will reside for the next 8-10 hours, spooning with 40 other passengers and their stinky feet, cigarettes, and the occassional Lao local complete with produce, Beer Lao, and livestock. (Remember, expect for the cigarette smoke this is a better option than the benches) WELCOME TO THE SLOW BOAT!!! Remind me to hire a Lonely Planet writer to pen creative ads regarding anything grostesque that needs to be spun in a positive light, cause this guy did a great job on this one.

Maybe it’s because we have been down three rivers already but the scenery was just OK. The ride was fun and adventureous though….we saw some elephants, water buffalo, met some great travellers and witnessed some great local life, but we just need to adjust our expectations before the journey and stop relying on the spoken gospel according to Lonely Planet. We were prepared with food, water, etc….but anything for 8 hours unless things are constantly new gets a little stale. Now don’t get us wrong, opposed to traversing the windy Lao roads in a bus, or paying ridiculous amounts to fly we would do this again but change things a bit. #1 on Becca’s list, Butt Donut for sitting (A towel just doesn’t work). #1 on Jeff’s list oxygen mask to avoid engine exhaust and, really, all-around, discourteous European smokers.

Ok, enough moaning. The experience was enriching, conversations scintillating, and as Jeff rationalized on Day One “Any day on this floor seeing the Mekong and travelling thru Laos is better than any day defending client’s investment performance”………..

Stay Tuned for Day Two tomorrow.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Part 1 – Valentine’s Day on the Mekong”

  1. SK says:

    I finally checked out your travel blog… SO FUN! I loved reading your travel updates and looking at all of the great pictures. You both look great & happy as can be.

    Travel safely!
    xoxo, Sara

  2. B's Mom says:

    Anxiously awaiting details of the city bike rides. You probably won’t see me on the Slow Boat to Laos any time soon. I could never keep track of all the directions they gave you. Another beautiful but freezing day in Seattle….cold! Mom

  3. Auntie Pam says:

    Sounds like you guys are having a lot of great experiences. It was a treat to actually be online the same time as you Bec and be able to chat a bit (what a treat).
    I am thinking the slow boat to Lao isn’t really me???? Sounds like you are having a great experience and a wonderful time.
    Very cold here right now, burrrrrr!!!!! The low 20″s. Talked to you dad today Bec, he’s good, I will see him Sunday afternoon.
    Hi Jeff, take care you two.
    Love, Aunti Pam

  4. B's Mom says:

    Hey Auntie Pam,

    I don’t thing anyone that knows you or I very well can see either of us on that slow boat any time soon..I’m just glad that Bec and Jeff are giving us the ride vicariously! How come you’re not in the desert where it’s warm? Great to see your post…waiting for your brother’s first one. Take care..love to you and all.

    Jane

  5. doreen says:

    would be very grateful if you could let me know how to contact CM Blue House at Changmai.

    thank you and have fun

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *