BootsnAll Travel Network



So many people….well at least they have the space! (1/23/06)

Sitting here in our favorite place in Yangshuo….Lisa’s Cafe. Great little backpacker hangout with a ton of Aussies. It seems like the entire country (ages 18-25) is travelling in China.

We arrived in Yangshuo via Guangzhou (formerly Canton), the heart of southwestern China. We got to Guangzhou via a very nice train and stepped off into what we thought would be a easy trip to the bus station to find the overnight bus to Yangshuo….not the case!!! Southwestern China doesn’t have any (I mean,any) English speakers in non-tourist towns. So after 2 hours of lugging our packs just to find the long-distance bus station we were determined to forge our best Chinese onto paper and hold up the name of Yangshuo to the ticket agent window. Got the ticket but then had to decipher when it left and from which terminal….needless to say it wasn’t easy with everything being in Chinese characters.

On the bus at 7.30pm, being the tallest and widest-eyed we were stuck unknowingly in the back without reclining seats. (We will learn, eventually) After 12 hours, one 2hr standstill as a rock slide was cleared, and surprisingly cold temps we made it to the Shangri-La of Yangshuo. We arrived int he AM with little in our tummies and no rest so we had str8 for the hotel and crashed. After waking up we discovered the wonderful world of Yangshuo. It is a bit more touristy than in the past but still quaint and small. The people are amazingly happy and helpful. Of course everyone wants to sell you something and we have kindly obliged on a few occasions. Over the next few days we will be biking through the green mountain scenery, trekking to overlooking vistas, and floating the Li River. We plan to head north to Longsheng in a few days and then battle the hords of people back to Hong Kong for the New Year. I will post pictures once we get to HKG so you can see the great scenery of the Guang Xi province of China.



Tags:

8 responses to “So many people….well at least they have the space! (1/23/06)”

  1. Dad Z & Mom Z says:

    this Blog is the greatest, we feel like we are in Yangshou with you. No thanks to the bus ride but the city sounds outstanding. the bike trekking sounds fabulous, we are envious. What an adventure. Proud to see you are learning to speak and “write” Chinese…..this makes me want to go right out and have Chinese food..ha…ha.
    Seattle is Seahawk crazy…funny how many fans hit the street after a winning season.
    Mom ran into Judy Relf at lunch today, she and her husband were world travelers in their younger days…and say good luck and have fun.

    love Mom and Dad

  2. Andrew says:

    That sounds like a rough one. After that bus ride, I’m sure you were very happy with thoughts of the Super Bowl in your dreams. Dddddeeeetttroit bound….

    Andrew

  3. Jill says:

    Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! I have kept up on all your entries and am thinking of you guys often. So maybe you will have some not so great bus rides on your journies, but is sounds like all of the destinations will be wonderful. I can’t wait to hear about the New Year in Hong Kong! Matthew and I wish you the best!

  4. Haase says:

    We are so glad things are going smoothly! Thanks for all of these updates; I think all of us are on the edge of our seats waiting for the next posting. Looking forward to pictures as well. I’ll let all of the Chicago colleagues know you’re doing great.

    Have a few Tsingtaos for me and Happy Hong Kong New Year!

  5. Terri and Dad says:

    Enjoying your blog and following your trip. Hope you are recovering from jet lag. Can’t wait to see your pictures of the New Year! Keep up the great communication.

  6. MEG says:

    Sounds great! I”ll live vicariously through the 2 of you for the next 8 months. Now, I have to just know what you’re thinking about the Seahawks! Hope you’re able to stay connected. Man, I hope they crush the Steelers. After what they did to my Colts, I’m a Seahawks fan for the next 10 days! Go Hasselback and Holmgren.
    Enjoy! Safe travels!
    MEG

  7. Lofa Tatapu says:

    Becca….Will you please post a picture the first time that Jeff transforms his pants into shorts. I think the viewing audience would be thrilled. A little description as to the mindset for the unzipping and the surrounding circumstances would be great. Thanks.

  8. Emily says:

    Ya’ll are so great! I probably would’ve started crying and told Andrew to take me home….
    Happy New Year of the Dog!

  9. Linda says:

    Wow – China sounds great. Sorry we did not get any phone time, and thanks for the Birthday message.

    Did you get a hotel in HK? One of my friends recommends the YWCA. She says it is nice, cheap (not common in HK), clean and in a good location. Remember that they have Gaylords in HK.

    Also, don’t be nervous when the fireworks start tomorrow. They will go most of the day, maybe even all day and much of the night.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *