BootsnAll Travel Network



Land of Smiles

Hello Everybody…….we are currently enjoying lovely Thailand (90 deg and humid, quite a change from China) and the people of their largest city, Bangkok. By the looks of all the food and shoe vendors I can’t believe anyone ever starves or wears unattractive shoes. The people of Thailand (especially Bangkok) have us completely enamored. So much so, that we are booking a flight ($40/each) to Chiang Mai and heading north to experience the hill towns and cultural communities of Northern Thailand. With Air Asia (Yes…they are safe, Dad) it is ridiculous to ride in a sweaty bus for 8 hours opposed to a comfortable 1 hour plane flight.

Our initial impressions of Bangkok are diverse. The food is delicious, locals endearing, yet fellow travellers a little meaty (tattoos and heavy drinkers), if you know what we mean. We did meet a fabulous world traveller like ourselves from California. Vicky, you are an inspiration to all solo-travellers and thank you for your advice and conversation. We are headed to Northern Thailand as you can see and hope to see you there!!!

We are also attempting to secure our Indian and Pakistani Visas while in Bangkok. As you can all imagine the Pakistani embassy doesn’t have a line at the door so it looks like we can get that one pretty easy. The Indian Visa is a bit more time-consuming. You have to submit an application on Day 1 with a copy of your passport, drop off your real passport in the AM on Day 5 and pick up your passport and Visa in the PM on Day 5. We might wait for Beijing on this one since we won’t be in BKK for that length of time.

We will keep in touch as we plan our adventures through SE Asia and anticipate a picture download in the near future. As a STAY TUNED…..we anticipate a cooking class in Chiang Rai, a float down the Mekong in Laos, and a beach bungalow some where in Vietnam……Thanks again for all your attention and your continued posts.

MOMS – we love your posts. It’s so nice to see the Internet having a positive affect on your lives!!!!



Tags: ,

10 responses to “Land of Smiles”

  1. Andrew says:

    I can only imagine the styles of shoes you speak of. Can you find any above a size 9?

    Looking forward to hearing about your cooking class and the beach bungalow in Vietnam.

    Best,
    Andrew

  2. DadZ says:

    Sounds like you two are becoming seasoned travelers. I was just looking at some of the connections the blog site offers to see Thailand. Did not realize how big it was, and how diverse the geography is. We are headed over to Jenni and Russ’s to help with the big move in. I have the urge to go up to the Thai resturant we all ate at and pretend we are there with you. Boy did you get out of Dodge just in time, the rain has continued and INCREASED, 3 inches in Redmond in a 24 hour time frame.

  3. Emily says:

    Soooo jealous of the market experience and cooking class! Can’t wait to hear more. Myself, I just finished off lunch at one of my favorite authentic Mexican restaurants: Taco Bell. Baby LOVES the new menu item: a tostada covered in nacho cheese and wrapped (a la Saturday Night Live) in a flour tortilla THEN grilled. Becca, I know you are jealous. And I can’t believe our little friend is still the manager there!

    Food in Vietnam is supposed to be fantastic too – a woman I took the food writing class with lives there and I loved all her pieces. I’m trying to find her info so I can pass along her suggestions or hook you up in person.

  4. B's Mom says:

    Did I hear someone mention Shoes??? Size 6 1/2 in any color or style will be just wonderful. Seriously, sounds like a great place. I just asked you about the food in an email so was happy to see that it’s tasty. Take off those hats and mittens and enjoy the sun. I am anxious to see the pics from Thailand and Vietnam. Check out the education systems too. Amanda is bringing me lunch today so I’ll sign off for now. I really could use a pair of black flats….sorry to be so single minded but when it comes to shoes you two know how I am.

    Love ya.
    Mom JA

  5. Jill says:

    Sounds like you guys are getting good at making plans on the fly. I can’t wait to check your pictures out! I like that you are giving up on the long bus rides and opting for the plane. Has it been easy to arrange all these side trips? And cooking lessons, sounds like the coolest thing. Jeff, watch out for the ovens! Your China pics will be put to use in my classroom soon! Be safe and enjoy!

  6. Mrs. Jaross' K-1 Bloggers says:

    Hi Becca and Jeff!
    Happy Chinese New Year! We just saw your pictures, and we liked seeing you in the pictures! We liked the “Minnie Maos Cafe” picture! We hope you are having a fun time! Will you be seeing the Great Wall of China? Signing off….we’ll check in with you later!
    Love, your K-1 bloggers

  7. Jeff and Becca says:

    Hey everybody thanks for the great posts. We are hoping the side trips (cooking class, elephant rides, etc) will be a blast. We should have the new pics on the site in no time at all. I will watch out for the ovens (very funny) and it hasn’t been too tough arranging things so far. Mrs Jaross….we will be visiting the Great Wall but in March so get ready. It is currently below freezing there and we are enjoying the hot humid airs of SE Asia much more. Talk to you all soon.

  8. Jill says:

    Oh!!!! I am so jealous that you will be seeing the Great Wall. I hope you are able to get some awesome pictures. We are starting our China unit tomorrow in the 6th grade. You know, there are many many bodies buried inside that wall!!!

  9. Suz says:

    I agree…the plane ride vs. the bus ride is a good choice! And you know how I love to fly!

    The Annual Report arrived today…it looks marvelous. Great swan song, Bec! It should be an award winner!

  10. Luke says:

    Thanks for keeping us up to date with all the updates. Nothing has changed much in Chitown, the Bulls stink, the Blackhawks are worse and the countdown to baseball season has begun! 2 Weeks until pitchers and catchers report! The best 7 words in sports. Keep having fun and keep the stories coming!!!

  11. Mary Hackbarth says:

    Hello! I’m so glad to read that your trip is going well. It sounds absolutely amazing so far. I can’t believe you are only two weeks into the trip and you have so much more to see. I’ve loved reading about all of the places you visted so far (I don’t know who is writing this – but you are doing a great job of describing everything!).

    Miss ya!

  12. MomZ says:

    Hi Jeffand Becca
    Loved the pics on the flicker site….we are getting a feel for these countries through your great pics. Of course loved the one of the two of you in the boat…seasoned travelers you are! We anxiously await news and pics of the cooking class. Dad wants pics of all airplanes!!!! JUst kidding! You look great and are having the time of your lives….Becca and the noodles was terrific….Keep the news coming we love to hear from you…..love and kisses ……….Miss you sooo much

  13. HAWK TIME says:

    Its getting serious out here. People have completely forgotten you guys left and have moved onto the Seahawks. No worries, we will be back on the Z’s bandwagon after the Super Bowl, but its time to put all the energy we have towards green and blue domination. we would all appreciate a little Thai support for the Hawks.

  14. Jeff says:

    Hey HawkTime: I’m sure we are still fondly remembered but I understand the concentration on this Sunday. We are going to try and watch but it starts at 6AM our time. According to our host I’d have to get his wife out of their bedroom where he has satellite or rabble-rouse a local shop owner to get open up @6AM. Well maybe I can catch the second half

  15. Beth Adas says:

    Hi there! I am so glad we caught each other on IM the other morning (night for you!). Let’s try to make that happen again. The beach bungalow sounds amazing. I can’t wait to see pictures! Safe travels.

    Love,
    Beth

  16. Pad-ke-mo-Hawk!! says:

    Right, right, you guys are still fondly remembered. But just like some of the great cultural traditions that you are learning in Thailand, it is time to impart some great American traditions on your Thai host. Get up at about 0500. Start frying the eggs and whatever else they got in the fridge that will help make an “omelette.” Bang some pots and pans around. Squeeze into bed with host mom and pops. hook them up with some breakfast in bed and snag the remote. Then its on. Its Hawk Time Thai style.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *