BootsnAll Travel Network



Monterey and Big Sur, a must visit in California

Big Sur, California is one of my favorite place. It is the No. 1 of top 10 romantic places by gayot.com. “Big Sur” means “big mouth” in Spanish. It is not a spot in the map, instead, it is a coastline on Highway 1. The scenic charm can be extended from between Santa Cruz to San Simon. From Carmel to Lucia alone, touring Big Sur on Highway 1 is one of the most captivating drive anywhere. The inland strip along Highway 1 provides access to state parks, redwoods, coastal streams and Los Padres National Forest.

The last time we visited Big Sur was mid spring 2006,driving from Mountain View (where Goolge is headquatered) to San Simon, Hearst Castle. The mode of our trip was relaxing. We stopped many times at the turnout along Highway 1. It seemed that I will never be bored by the deep blue of the Pacific Ocean.

TentWe stayed at a tent cabin in Fernwood Resort. It is on the right hand side of road if you drive towards south. All the lodgings in Big Sur don’t have specific address but a common simple address “Highway 1, Big Sur”. So I will recommend you do some homework about your hotel’s location if you will check in after sunset. The tents area is next to Big Sur river in the redwoods, you can hike easily to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. We got an special rate by mentioned its website. Find more accommodations and review here. Check out trip planner here.
Big Sur Bridge

Big Sur Coast on Highway 1



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Monterey and Big Sur, a must visit in California”

  1. Mala Mukunda says:

    Dramatic views!Is that the Bixby Bridge in the first picture? Those who have run the Big Sur International Marathon, held last Sunday every April, say running along the coastline and taking in the views has been one of the most exhilarating experiences of their lives.
    Mala Mukunda
    Live The Dream…Tell The Tale
    http://www.traveling-stories-magazine.com/

  2. admin says:

    Thanks for stopping by, Mala! you are right. it is Bixby bridge. We knew about this bridge before we went, but we always missed it when we drove toward south. You always want to go closer to the bridge, but once too close, you are on the bridge and no way to get off then you pass it.

    Anyway, i believe Marathon along big sur will be an experience of a life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *