BootsnAll Travel Network



pretty generalizations.

Have you been to Budapest?  A lot of buildings here are waiting to be torn down but are being used as bars in the meantime, it´s beautiful.  wisteria.jpg

Other than the extra realestate emptiness and the language it´s hard to remember that I am in a post-communist country and not a twisted version of New York City.  Individualism seems revered here in a way someone growing up in a non-communist country might never appreciate.  Good luck conversing with your neighbor while waiting for the metro in these far apart seats (get off the tracks Greta!).   To get back to Eszter´s apartment I turn left at Kentucky Fried Chicken and keep an eye out for the Pizza Hut across the street.  Then I turn around because I´ve walked five doors too far. 

There are some magical places here that come from the era before US companies (blog-challenge: name three magical US companies and win three exotic prizes). 

Does this look like a hospital?  Inside the building there are more Turkish baths for Rhumatism patients or the general public.  After I embarassed Eszter by entering the Turkish bath just to take pictures she grabbed me and we jumped on a train to a little village where she took me to a Serbian Orthodox church.  We entered the church with a group of Japanese tourists but were soon spotted as imposter asians and made to pay our own entrance fee.  Even before our group cleared out an unexpected feeling of peace settled over us.  Eszter says that it is one of her favorite spiritual places in Hungary and now I know why although I don´t understand why.Eszter and I.jpg

The last day in Hungary I found the Műcsarnok which was showing two art exhibits ¨Coolhunters: Youth Culture Between Media and the Market¨by Muntean and Rosenblum, and ¨Címnélkül¨ meaning without a street.  The painting´s titles made me realize that hungarian artists are thinking about post-modern consumerism too. 

We live in a twilight of consciousness, never in accord with whom we are or think we are.

The great landscapes belong to tomorrow and we have already lived.  Who would have thought life would turn out like this?

We´ve been lead to believe that times change quickly now and that history is moving faster and faster.  But time itself doesn´t change.  It is the rhythm, our way of reading time, that changes.

Further into the exhibit I was alone in a huge dark room with two projectors and club music.  Each projector displayed people grooving or making out in front of a white wall.  The music was loud and I couldn´t help dancing – my shadow projected onto the video clubbers – coolhunt That! 



Tags: , , ,

One response to “pretty generalizations.”

  1. Michael says:

    I love the seats!!! I have never been to Budapest, or anywhere in Hungary, so it is neat to see a little bit. When I studied in Venice, this girl/woman on the program frequently went to Budapest, and said that a lot of the buildings are post World War II, and quite ugly. The hospital courtyard and the building with the nice purple flowers are not what I was thinking. How was the food? What are you eating? How is Thailand?
    Tomorrow I have my first exam!!!!!!

  2. mamad says:

    How do you manage to capture all the spectacular images to post? Am savoring every one….
    love,
    mamad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *