BootsnAll Travel Network



Kutna Hora, Czech Republic (Post #40)

Hello…Michele here. It is Friday, August 19th and we are still in Prague. Today Mike and I went to Kutna Hora for a day trip. This is a town about 1 hour (by train) outside of Prague with a population of about 20,000 people. We did not have any problems buying a train ticket to Kutna Hora in part because the guy at the information window spoke some English. However, we were confused as to whether or not we had purchased a round trip ticket or not. A very nice lady sitting next to us on the train heard us talking and said she would help us by explaining our ticket to us. Her English was not very good but she said she liked to practice and did get the message across that our ticket was good for both trips (to Kutna Hora and back). She said she liked the train because it was relaxing. Then she took a sip of a beer she had hidden behind her. This was at 10:15am. In the U.S. this is probably seen as alcoholic type of behavior but not so in Europe. Many people have a beer in the mid morning or afternoon or with their lunch.

Anyway… one reason we went to Kutna Hora was to see the Sedlec Kostnice (aka “The Bone Church”). I had seen this church on the Discovery Channel in the U.S. quite a while ago and was interested to see it for myself. The chapel crypt contains the bones of 40,000 people arranged in a variety of formations including 4 pyramids of bones, a huge chandelier of bones, and a family coat of arms (yes, made out of all sorts of human bones). We also went to the Cathedral of St. Barbara, a beautiful church that rivals the one on the Prague Royal Palace grounds. We couldn’t take pictures on the inside but I got a few of the outside, which is impressive enough. We also had lunch in the Kutna Hora town square. I am going to sign off now but before I go, here are a couple of pictures of the inside of “The Bone Church”.

We love blog comments but if for some reason you want to say something to us more directly, please email us — mikeandmichelertw at hotmail dot com (appropriate punctuation changes will be required of course).



Tags:

One response to “Kutna Hora, Czech Republic (Post #40)”

  1. Rich Priddy says:

    How awesome. Obviously i’d seen pictures of that place before, but i had not realized (or forgotten) that there were so many people in pieces there. It’s reassuring to know that long after my death i might be useful for decoration purposes.

    How does this square with The Church though? I mean, isn’t this sacrilegious or something?

    I think it’s beautiful, to be reminded of how many countless people have walked the earth before you. Just in this one spot – 40,000 lives are represented. It seems like such a huge number on its own. But compared to the total population that has lived on this god forsaken planet, it’s insignificant.

  2. Mike and Michelle

    Hello,

    I am putting together a series of information websites and blogs to assist the destination citiy travelers of Ithaca, New York. They are largely Students / Scholars of both Cornell University, and Ithaca College, as well as budget travelers-like me. More importantly, this group represents Ithaca’s majority traveling public.

    So from time I will be coming back to your blog for information, as well as look through the comments you have – to gain more intellegence on the communities you have experience with.

    In a time of esculating fuel costs, and travel security anxieties, very little bit of info helps.

    If you have the time please advise.

    Yours,

    Mr. Roger M. Christian

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *