BootsnAll Travel Network



Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic (Post #41)

Mike (with Michele’s supervision) writes…

We have gotten a bit behind with the blog because we have been very busy so we will be posting two blogs today to try to get up to date.

On Sunday, August 21st we rode for about 3 hours on a bus from Prague to Cesky Krumlov (both Czech). We arrived in Cesky (pictured below) at about 1:15 p.m., walked by Tourist Information only to find they would be closed until 2:00 p.m. Then we proceeded through the old town square towards our accommodations for the next 3 nights. Ametyst Pension was located just 5 minutes away from the town square and was much nicer than our accommodations in Prague (and much cheaper!). The town of Cesky is much like Prague only but on a smaller scale. Walking across the town takes only about 10 minutes. I immediately liked Cesky a lot better than Prague. I feel that it has a lot more charm and has not been quite as corrupted by tourism as Prague. Don’t get me wrong. There were still plenty of tourists. After getting settled, we walked back to the Tourist Information office to figure out how we would travel from Cesky to Budapest. Then it was time to find some dinner. We found this great little medieval-style Czech restaurant. This great little spot had outdoor seating at picnic tables right on the river that runs through town. I had roast chicken with millet cake and Michele had and mushrooms and puffed barely which we washed down with some Czech mead. Michele drank her mead warm while I took mine cool. About the time we were finising our meal two young men looking around for a place to sit asked (in English) if they could just sit at our table. We welcomed them. It turned out they were a couple of twentysomething students from Switzerland. We sat and talked to them and had some beer and more mead while they ate their meals. Then the four of us went to a local underground (looked a bit like a cave) bar for a few more beers and more conversation. While we were here, I met a couple of Czech guys who had been travelling around for a bit and looked pretty road weary. Conversation with these two guys was quite difficult since they each spoke only about 10 words of English. We tried to communicate by drawing pictures in my journal and acting out forms of transportation. This was very interesting not to mention very difficult. At the end of the night we agreed to meet our two Swiss friends, Nick and Ben, in the town square at noon the next day to get lunch together. See the picture below.


So, Monday we met Nick and Ben in the town square, had some lunch and then walked up to the castle. Our first sight was from the tower where we got a great overview of the town of Cesky Krumlov. We spent the rest of the day with our Swiss friends and parted with them late in the afternoon. They were spending two weeks driving around Czech Republic and were leaving Monday night to drive to Telc where they expected to find some great cheap beer among other things. We really enjoyed our time with these two guys. Here is a picture of the four of us at lunch. (from left to right: Nick, Mike, Michele and Ben)

Tuesday we spent most of our time doing business including spending 3.5 hours on the internet trying to plan the Turkey leg of our trip. Even though we will be going with a hop-on, hop-off bus (about 2 weeks), figuring out how long we would stay where was very time consuming. We also used the only laundromat in town to do some much needed laundry.

Wednesday we took a long trip to Budapest. See the next post for this adventure.

We love blog comments but if for some reason you want to say something to us more directly, please email us — mikeandmichelertw at hotmail dot com (appropriate punctuation changes will be required of course).



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *