BootsnAll Travel Network



Is ketchup too much to ask for?

So here I end up going to the most amazing Italian restaurant only to get yelled at by the waitress. It was really sad 🙁 but totally hilarious.

Chris and I went to eat at this place near our piazza, where the 3 course meal was a mere €13. The food was absolutely amazing. I had a wonderful meal with some excellent vino bianco. My last side dish I ordered though was called fried potatoes, which I wasn’t100% sure what such a name would entail, but I was eager to find out. Well when I get the side dish, I realize they are some Texas style steak fries, or french fries. They are pretty nice, but they lack ketchup. I politely ask the Italian lady if she had ketchup, to which she yelled at me ‘THIS IS NOT MCDONALDS, no ketchup’ It was pretty funny/semi paralyzing.

Now, immediately I remember that there is a McDonald’s right near the restaurant, so for like 3 minutes I debate walking out, getting ketchup, and then walkiung back in to finish my meal…just to piss her off. I realize that would be quite innappropriate and I refrain from doing so, but damn did I want to!!!!!! Had it been some bitchy waitress in the US, I would have totally done it, but in Italy and to an otherwise nice waitress, I figured such action on my part would have been very rude, and wouldn’t have helped out our country’s image abroad, lol.

In the end, it was a great meal, and now I have a cultural experience to share with Professore Carlo on Monday. wOOt for that!

Peace, Spice, and Adventure,
-Edgar



Tags:

2 Responses to “Is ketchup too much to ask for?”

  1. Liz Says:

    MMMMM sounds delicious.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Drea Says:

    Yeah, what is it with non-Americans and ketchup? It’s such a touchy subject. They call it friggin “Tomato Sauce.” “No, tomato sauce is that stuff you put on pizza and use to make spaghetti sauce. Ketchup is ketchup, and I shouldn’t have to pay you an extra 50 cents just so I can get some on my fries.” Speaking of fries, I really want some right now, but I will refrain.

  4. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand

Leave a Reply