BootsnAll Travel Network



First Day in Aussiland

I woke up at 7:30am, not because I’d set my alarm, but because that is my natural wake-up time now. I got up, finished packing and cleaning, and checked out of my flat for good. I slung one backpack on my back and the other in front, and dragged my suitcase down the sidewalk the five blocks to the busstop. My shoulders were stones when I finally sat down. The busdriver carried my luggage onto and off of the bus. Oh how I love Kiwi hospitality! I went to the Air New Zealand check in 3 hours early. I placed my luggage as gently as I could on the scale and the woman said, looking shocked, “You’re 10 kilos over! That will be $100 dollars”

“Shit!”

And my carry-on was another 3 over! No wonder my shoulders had died!

“Why don’t you take your bags over to one of those scales no one is using and see if you can get rid of a few kilos.”

I did; I did my best to empty the bag. Six kilos gone. And I’m still 5 over the absolute maximum.

“Don’t worry, this is a normal occurrence in the airport.”

“I would expect it.”

“So how are you doing?”

“I still have 5 kilos to go.”

“Do you have anything else you could get rid of? Food?”

“A box of Tim-Tams. Would you like a box of Tim-Tams?” I held them up to her with a big smile.

She looked tempted, but said, “why don’t you put your bags up on the scale, we’ll see how you’re doing.”

They measured in at 24.5. “Well, I’m allowed to let you get away with 23, but you’ve done a good job,” she looked at the pile of clothes and shoes and my $70 textbook. “I’ll let you go.”

“Thank you!”

I headed to the bookstore to see if I could send the textbook home ahead of me. I managed to knock over a display of chocolates on my way in, but after I cleaned them up, the employees were very helpful as they usually are. All of them became involved in trying to find out how I could send the book. One was on the phone with another trying to find out the price, while a third held the book up to the security camera so they could see it. But it wasn’t worth mailing it home, so I donated the book to the employees of the store, and headed off for a triumph ice cream.

Green tea was the flavor. A spot of it managed to find its way onto my white T-shirt before I finally sat to wait the 2 hours till I left for Christchurch and then on to Sydney.

When I arrived in Sydney and made it through customs, I went to wait in the warm air for the shuttle as I swatted away the flies, only to find they didn’t take credit. So back inside I went, and found an ATM, withdrawaing 4 urine yellow 50’s.

I took the shuttle through the city, noting how similar to the US it is, and how exact it is to the expectations I had of New Zealand. I had been expecting Australia in New Zealand. I immediately liked Sydney because it reminded me of cities back home, and fulfilled my expectations of Australia.

I finally arrived at my hostel at 7:30pm to wait another half hour before the manager came back so I could check in. But what a nice guy he is! Clive I think is his name, or Clyde. He set up a table and chairs and candle on the veranda for us. Camilla (who I haven’t seen in 2 weeks) cooked tacos. We sat eating tacos, drinking beer, and watching transvestite hookers working the corner up the street, while their pimp sat in a car across the sidewalk from us. We watched as a number of their very drunk clients came by. A number of strange people walked by who weren’t even intersted in the hookers. One said, as he passed, “smells like a nice joint,” in reference to our non-existent marijuana. Not long after that, the pimp drove off. Four guys about 20 maybe walked down the other side of the street and stopped to turn a chain-link fence into a toilet. They were not the last to do so. Clive brought us Milo ice creams; what a nice guy! Finally some other people staying at the hostel discovered that we had a wonderful “romantic dinner for two on the veranda, complete with entertainment,” and came outside to talk to us.

Two English bloaks stood on the other side of the banister entertaining us with their craziness. Ben, is a caricature of himself. He uses a number of sayings and has a very didactic comical way of talking. Imagine an English bloak saying, “Keep it clean, I always say,” in place of a period at the end of every sentence. It can be quite hilarious, and when, as you’re talking Clive lowers chocolate attached to a rope from an unseen second story window.

As we were talking, a helicopter with a search light flew slowly overhead looking for some criminal, only adding to the excitement. I have to say, my first day in Australia was wonderful, and lucky as!



Tags: ,

4 responses to “First Day in Aussiland”

  1. Mum says:

    Hi Hun,

    I sounds wonderful. I’m glad you’re having a good time. I can’t wait to see you.

    Luv, Mum (& Daisy & Co.)

  2. grandma p says:

    Sounds lilke more fun than you can stand! We are anxiously awaiting you stories of the next few weeks and your arrival home. xxxxx00000

  3. granddad says:

    Oh the joys and trials of travel. Be sure you try vegimite – the Aussie delight (at least to Aussies).

  4. Camilla says:

    That sure was one helluva day, wasn’t it? 😉

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *