BootsnAll Travel Network



“Don’t Worry; I’m Indian.”

I wrote the following my journal on 8 June 2006 immidiately after it happened:

I was waiting in front of the Florence train station for my 8pm to Milano. An Indian man just came up to me. I gave him the silent treatment about 15 min. as he spoke nothing but English to me.

“You don’t have to worry; I’m Indian. I’m not Arabic. Those Arabic people, they’re dangerous. You have to watch out for them. My wallet was stolen. See, this is the card the police gave me.”

He shoved the thing in my face and I went on popping strawberries in my mouth refusing to engage him.

“Florence is enough. FLorence is no good. Where are you from? Don’t worry; I’m Indian. I have a friend here. He’s no good. My friend told me give me money; I give you house. I give him money; he not give me house. My friend is no good. Where are you from? You are afraid? Don’t worry; I am Indian. You speak English? Italian? Spanish? French? German? I can speak it. My native Indian. Don’t be afraid; I am Indian. That is my friend over there. I will go talk to him.” He hobbled off. And then, to my strawberry eating shagrin, he came back. “You see, he’s no good. He said ‘go away, bastard.’ And I said, ‘Fuck you. I’ll kick your knees in.”

A few more repetitions of “Don’t worry; I’m Indian. Where are you from? Do you understand English?” It seemed the silent treatment was not working.

“Where are you from?”

“I’m from Florence.”

“Where?”

“I’m from Florence.”

“Italian?”

“My boyfriend is Arabic. Please go away.”

“Oh! Arabic? That’s ok. I’m Indian. I can respect that.”

Sir, you clearly cannot. “Please go away.”

He took his time putting on his jacket.

“Please go away.”

He finally did, muttering, “Arabic. Arabic.”



Tags: , , , ,

One response to ““Don’t Worry; I’m Indian.””

  1. Carro says:

    wow… strange people, eh? Good thing about Sweden? No one will bother you – unless they are drukn of course. But no, Swedes won’t approach other people to the degree that they can take a detour just to avoid bumping into people! You’ll probably hate it, but then again I will be there so it should be okey anyway!! *carro just rambling on* Right now we are trying to start packing all our stuff – not easy, but hey, it shouldn’t be I guess!! See Ya soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *