BootsnAll Travel Network



Coyote in Manhattan

I don’t know if you’ve heard, but the wilds that are Manhattan have just been relieved of one more of its wild creatures.  A coyote was captured in Central Park yesterday after a two day chase that involved a heroic leap (on the part of the coyote) over an 8-foot fence.  He was finally brought down with a tranquilizer gun.  Apparently he’d been in the park for about a week, and had been eating ducks, not that the park could use any fewer ducks.

Now, just last week, I was reading an article in Smithsonian Magazine about how coyotes have begun to infiltrate urban habitats.  They’re clever buggers, that’s for sure.  Since their competition the wolf was all but wiped out by hunters and farmers, the coyote population has skyrocketed.  Originating in the western states, they have now moved into just about every major landmass in the US except Long Island.  Not that they haven’t tried.  One was spotted trying to swim to Long Island.

So what better place to live than Central Park?  It’s prime real estate!  Unfortunately, for this coyote, there seems to be descrimination against his species.  I suppose it’s only fair.  He is a predator after all.  We don’t want him eating the chihauhaus that roam the streets in women’s handbags.  Although I’m sure he wouldn’t do that; coyotes aren’t very aggressive towards humans, at least no where near as aggressive as other humans.

Even so, he’s awaiting transport to the woods in upstate New York where they’re planning to release him.  I wish they’d give me a ride up there too; I could use a vacation from this city.



Tags:

0 responses to “Coyote in Manhattan”

  1. olga says:

    he died while they were tagging him 🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *