BootsnAll Travel Network



Mexico!!! Aug 3 & 4, 2006

We left San Diego heading south for the border, trying to make a few quick calls to friends and family before we lost cell service.  It was a much shorter trip than we thought and we were crossing the border without so much as a nod from the border patrol before we knew it.  This was the first of many surprises of Mexico.  Somehow I had visions of long lines of traffic with every car being searched so I was really scared our perfectly packed car would be torn to shreds – but nothing of the sort.  We simply drove through and proceeded into Tijuana.  Thankfully there is now a toll road that skirts this dirty border town and goes straight to the coast so it was only about 10 minutes before we were driving along a coastal mountain road, gazing out at the blue ocean below


Encinitas!!!  Wow, an amazing, eclectic town of shops and restaurants that overlooked the ocean.  We stopped and walked around and got on the road again, taking photos of a DHL spot from our moving car and other sites.  The drive was truly unbelievable and the people were all welcoming.  Our first impression of Mexico was unforgettable.  We winded through mountains and cliffs, seeing farms and small towns as we neared the beach.  We both decided it was the most beautiful drive we had ever taken.  We passed through a small fishing village and decided to keep driving south.  At dusk, we approached Punta San Isidro and Coyote Cal’s, a hostel located on the beach with all the amenities one needs.  We stayed there for the night, met some locals that gave us some tips about some nearby surf breaks. The next morning we went for a run on the cliffs, overlooking the ocean and were followed by two sweet dogs the entire 2.5 miles – one a bull dog and the other, a terrier (a large version of Pete’s dog – Jake).  The dogs hiked the cliffs with us and checked out the sea lions that were perched up on the nearby rocks.

After homemade pancakes, we met Fabian and Felix, travelers from Germany, and we all drove north a few miles to look for surf.  We found a really cool little bay – Half Moon Bay, and Long Beach – a nice beach break with head high waves.  After Fabian and I surfed for a bit, Jenny paddled out at a nice little left point break and caught her first real wave on my 7.0 fun shape!  After a great day at the beach we said goodbye to our new friends and headed back to the beach to camp for the night.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *