BootsnAll Travel Network



The Sydney Bridge Climb – A Family Affair

We rose early on Monday morning and set off to the airport to surprise Nic (Chris’s sister) and Steve (Chris’s brother-in-law) who were flying in for a three week holiday in Australia.

Chris generally runs in a completely different time-zone to the majority of the population which is at best half an hour behind everybody else….but for once (Hallelujah, Praise the Lord!) Chris was actually early which was, frankly, a blessing because the surprise kind of relied on us actually being there when they walked through arrivals!

Armed with our sign made out for “Dodds” we made our way to the gate. At this stage Chris was as giddy as a schoolboy getting the sticker which completes his football world cup sticker album as it has been over six months since either of us has seen any family. After much false identification (we have been away a long time!) we finally saw them make there way through the arrivals gate. Hugs were exchanged, followed by further hugs sent over from various family members.

Nic and Steve are in Sydney for the best part of a week, during which time they are attending a friend’s wedding, so were intent on making the most of their stay and soon headed down to the harbour. We met up with them later that day for a spot of dinner and a proper catch up and a couple of drinks. It was so good seeing them and catching up with news from home.

The following day (Tuesday) we were all booked on the BridgeClimb over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. We were booked on the 5.45pm climb only to find that some of the wedding party (also Geordies – there is no escape!) were booked on the same climb (what are the chances?!) The timing of our climb meant that we would be climbing in daylight, be at the top for the sunset over Sydney and be descending in the dark with the city lights as the backdrop.

After passing the alcohol breath test, passing a metal detector test and removing all personal items which could potential come loose and fall onto the passing traffic below we donned our rather fetching all-in-one romper suits. Looking like a bunch of super heroes (maybe that was just to me!) or more likely a bunch of village idiots we were each given a safety harness as we would be attached throughout the climb. Other items including baseball hats, handkerchiefs etc etc were all optional but had to be clipped onto the jumpsuits. Nicola, having acquired every clip-on possible decided at the eleventh hour that she needed the toilet – …only to be followed by every other girl in the group! Not an easy feat when you are zipped into your suit at the back and have a harness on!!!

The final piece of equipment – a clip on headset was dished out which progressed me from being a super hero to an astronaut (accessorising can make or break a look!)

OK on to the factual bit!

Now those of you reading this blog on a regular basis will be fully aware that we have been claiming the Sydney Harbour Bridge was based upon the Tyne Bridge ….well we stand somewhat corrected. Although the Tyne Bridge opened 4 years earlier than the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the designs for the latter were actually submitted before work began on the Tyne Bridge! Nevertheless the Harbour Bridge is made of approximaetly 80% English steel and 20% Australian!

The harbour bridge was completed in 1932 at a cost of approximately $20m, and spans right across the harbour from the South shore to the North shore giving amazing views across Sydney. Did you know? – one of Australia’s well known celebrities, Paul Hogan, was one of the painters contracted to give the Bridge another 270,000 litre coat of paint. …… and more than 6 million rivets were used in the construction (appparently it is thought at least 10,000 rivets sit on the sea bed below!).

The walk begins in the look out at the end of the bridge and progresses along a narrow walkway and up ladders through two lanes of traffic, emerging on the top at the foot of the top curve. On our right hand side was a view over Circular Quay and the Opera House and to our left was The Rocks and Darling Harbour. Whilst at the summit, which is 134m above mean sea level, we paused to see the sun bid farewell for the day as it set over Sydney……the sun left the sky a fantastic shade of pink until the lights of the city came on to give us a whole new scene. Before beginning our descent we each blew the famous Blinking Billy (the light at the very top) a kiss and made a wish.

Here are a couple of pics from the climb:

med day.jpg

med night.jpg

Having worked up an appetite we headed straight to the nearest pub in the Rocks for Pizza………but not just any pizza! Steve had Kangaroo pizza and Chris had Salt Water Crocodile Pizza! We all tried a piece of each (except Nic who is vegetarian).The crocodile was very tough and chewy and a little tasteless (although most say it is like chicken – haha what isn’t? well Kangaroo for starters!) whereas the Kangaroo was tender and had a lot more flavour to it.

Following our meal we headed to Cruise bar where we had one drink looking over the opera house which was a pretty perfect ending to a great evening!



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “The Sydney Bridge Climb – A Family Affair”

  1. Karen says:

    Congratulations to you all, very impressed at Nik doing the climb, she is getting as brave as you Chris!

  2. Charlotte says:

    Hi Karen

    Will pass on your message this afternoon. Chris is meeting Nic and Steve to walk from Coogee to Bondi at lunch time and I am going too catch up with them there later this afternoon. Hopefully if weather stays fine we will have a barbeque on the beach this evening. They are off to Alice tomorrow morning – the week has gone so fast!

    Love to everyone

    Charl

  3. Mum says:

    hold on… hold on… didn’t Chris go to the Cruise bar?

  4. admin says:

    Yep he managed just the one!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *