BootsnAll Travel Network



Adios Ayer

315192563_3049317be7.jpg312560222_9a02461463.jpg312561022_bb2f0ea939.jpg312559489_e06f9c6151.jpg

8th December 2006

Our time in Sydney is unfortunately coming to an end! Tomorrow we will don our backpacks once again and start our journey back home towards the UK, albeit we have a couple of scheduled stops on the way; Alice Springs, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney again for New Year, Cairns, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Sydney has been our ‘home’ for the last 3 months, and it will be with heavy heart, (and probably a shocking hangover) that we will board our flight to Alice tomorrow morning, having had such a fantastic time here. It has been great fun settling into the Aussie lifestyle, making new friends, and also having the opportunity to share our time here with some familiar faces from back home, Dan, Sparky and Louise, Donny and Jen and most recently Nicola and Steve!

315193065_7fd1f235c8.jpg

(need to photoshop our demonic eyes!)

Having climbed the bridge with Nicola and Steve last Tuesday, we spent some very civilised time with them prior to their own trip to Uluru last weekend. We took in an evening in Bondi together, starting at Russel Crowe’s (alledged) favourite drinking spot, the Iceberg cocktail bar, before quickly re-adjusting (after about 45 secs, thankfully before ordering a $30 cocktail!) to a more realistic level for a schooner and bangers and mash at the surf life saving club. On Friday we met early in the afternoon, enjoyed some snorkelling at Clovelly (with some big blue gropers, oh er!) before taking in the scenic walk to Bondi, where we hit the waves for some body boarding, which was brilliant fun!

Nicola and Steve headed off to Alice on Saturday, but came back to Sydney for 1 night only, en route to Cairns. We reverted to type for what was our farewell evening, enjoying a dusk Coogee beach bbq, before getting smashed on the cheap ‘piiiisss’ and ending the night with what can only be described as a game of every man / women for themselves midnight beach rugby league (minus ball!). It is to Nicola and Steve’s eternal credit that they somehow managed to get up only a few hours later to make their flight north!

So next stop Alice springs, and a 6 day outback tour to Adelaide. After hearing about Nicola and Steve’s trip we are both really looking forward to seeing Uluru (I apologise in advance John, as I can only imagine how many photos Charlotte will attempt to take!), and the Kings Canyon. We will be sleeping under the stars in authentic Aussie ‘swag’ bags and even have a night pencilled in under ground in a place called Coober Peddy, a town where everyone lives in old mine shafts to avoid the desert heat! And I thought the cockneys were a strange bunch!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *