BootsnAll Travel Network



The things you see whilst sitting on a bus…

I had to get a bus from Bangkok to Ban Phe yesterday, & i saw some things that made me wonder..

First thing: I’m sitting on the bus waiting for it to leave Ekkamai bus station in Bangkok. As is usual in bus stations, there is another bus next to mine. The people on that one are also waiting to go somewhere. I glance to my left at the window opposite mine on the adjacent bus. The person there has pulled the curtain across part of the window. All I can see is two hands, and a big, fat box of Dunkin Doughnuts. Over the course of the 10 minutes or so i sat there waiting to depart, the hands would dart into the box scrabble around slightly, pick a piece off one of the dougnut, & move out of view, presumably towards a mouth. it was fascinating to watch. What it really reminded me of was an old kids TV program from the U.K which I believe was called “Zzzap” & one section of which featured two gloved hands doing various things, whilst disembodied.

The Second thing I noticed was after we had been driving through Bangkok for the best part of an hour. (Greater Bangkok is enormous). We drove past a shop that sold bits of car. They had windshields, bumpers, headlights etc. And they had doors. Not really that surprising, every car needs at least 1 door right? It was the range of doors that got me however. They had several that were made out of wood. Wooden car doors. Now there’s an idea whose time has come. Just think about a whole wooden car for a second. Drive it into a river & it’ll float. Get in an accident involving a fire & the road maintenance people can just leave it burning until morning & then sweep the ashes away. Get in an accident and fail to survive (A wooden car in a head-on collison with an articulated lorry hasn’t got a whole lot of hope) and they can just put you & the car in 1 big hole in the ground. Now there’s an environmentally friendly burial..

The last thing I noticed on my bus ride was that traffic lights have big, red L.E.D displays with a number countdown telling the people waiting for a green light how long there is to go. I think these would last about a week in the U.K before Dom Joly or Johnny Knoxville or someone decided to play a practical joke with it. Just imagine a fake timer taped in front of the real one, where the numbers go up. Or go down from 60 to 2 and then just sit there….



Tags:

One response to “The things you see whilst sitting on a bus…”

  1. dan n says:

    no that sounds crap. You know youve watched too much tv when you start wandering what reality would be like inside a 20inch box…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *