BootsnAll Travel Network



The stupidest idea in the history of advertising..

I’ve just spent the last few hours at an “Irish” bar called Shamrocks on the Khao san road – Bangkok’s tourist ghetto. I was there to watch England play Wales in a qualifying game for next years football world cup. There were two frustrating aspects to watching this game. The first is that the game itself was boring, uninspired & lacked any kind of real passion that people used to expect from fixtures between the home nations (games involving the countries that make up the U.K – England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland)

The second was even more frustrating. Some bright spark in the boardroom of the television channel that screens foreign football games in this country has decided that it’s a great idea to interrupt the game at roughly 30 second intervals to show adverts. They stick an advert on pretty much every time the ball goes out of play. This includes immediately after a goal when people generally like to watch the replay. To be fair to these plonkers, they don’t completely fill the screen with their commercials. They leave a small square measuring about a 1/6 of the full screen in the top right hand corner. Well thanks a lot.

Now what i want to know is this: How can anybody seriously think that advertising a car, or a vacuum cleaner, or a new type of cheese spread, in the middle of the action and thus pissing off every single punter watching is somehow going to endear any of us to the product they’re trying to market? You can almost imagine the conversation:

“Hey honey, the washing machine’s buggered, we better get a new one.”
“Sure sweetheart, which one should we buy?”
“Let’s get the XXX brand. They advertised it on TV last night during the replay of Defoe’s 3rd goal for England. It really caught my attention & I didn’t even care about the football game after hearing how brilliant & soapy it is…”

So if any Thai television execs are reading this – which is about as likely as a colony of guinea pigs spontaneously deciding to populate Mars – then please stop this idiotic practice. If you want to make millions from advertising revenues then stick the damn things in at half-time. Everybody’s at the bar then anyway…



Tags: , ,

One response to “The stupidest idea in the history of advertising..”

  1. Afro_Al says:

    Give me soupy suds over svens duds any day! All about the spurs midfield…Oh ive cum my pants.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *